Newbie spoon carving - best wood?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
As a newbie carver, I wondered if any you old hands could advise which wood(s) are best for carving spoons - in terms of ease of carving, aesthetics, functionality etc.

Living in the New Forest I have unlimited supply of wide range of woods and I'm not really sure where to start!

Cheers

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'd go with willow - carves like cheese, but will teach you about grain - which will become important on harder woods.

I still enjoy carving with willow after years of carving - doesn't make me any good, I just enjoy doing it!

Ogri the trog

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
As you have a wide range of woods have a play with all of them. Then you'll get plenty of carving practice in too.

As Ogri says Willows nice to start with as is Lime. Birch to as its easy to get.
Fruit woods for a closer grain and nice patterns/colours.

Have fun and show you results :)

I think a great deal comes down to personal preference but also look at the article on this site about food safe woods.

I love carving sycamore, it reminds me of cutting in to an apple, crisp and white but is actually quite characterless. Green wood is of course softer and more forgiving on both you and you edges. Cut only what you need so that you always have a supply of green wood; be gready and cut too much and it will season and become much harder work. The selection of the right piece of wood is important too. Natural bends, knot free etc have a good look. Also removing the central rings will help prevent splitting. Same rules for most woods.

I've used Sycamore, Birch, Beech, Cherry and all hever their own querks that are fun to learn.

Leo

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Birch and alder are both easy enough to carve.
While you are learning be sure to keep your knives sharp.There are numerous tutorials on this site to have a look at.
Beware the spoon knife in particular , a blunt one will spill much more blood than a sharp one.
Don't forget to post the pics of your spoons.The members here are very supportive : even of my efforts, and you will get lots of useful advice.
For my two pennorth , just carve everything and see how it goes; costs nothing and is always a learning curve.
Cheers , Simon

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
Thanks for help & advice. Birch is very plentiful, so I might kick off with that. There is not a lot of lime in the forest. If all goes well I might be able to progress to the various wild fruits around.

I'll post the results - as long as you promise not to laugh too much!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Birch is a very good wood; it comes up really nicely when oiled.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I find willow tears quite easily.

Have fun!

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
Hi Bartooon ive been carveing for a while now and i always like woods with nice grains, hawthorn is good when green but is hard as stone when seasoned. Beech is always nice, birch will be good and of course oak. My first spoon was not very pretty but had good caracter it was made from hawthorn. I carved a cheery spoon that was very nice and i gave it to Jhon Tams the folk singer, he wore it around his neck on stage and i felt so proud of that spoon. Any way carving spoons will give you a good understanding on how to improve your technics for more fun projects like woodsprits 74779_10150720789631947_639376946_9723730_1185354680_n.jpg their is a lot on carving on you tube, hope ive been of some help.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
to start willow [poplar alder lime birch and start carving cooking spoons.
When you have carved lots of cooking and serving spoons consider eating spoons for these harder woods are better, birch is still great, fruit woods eg pear apple cherry hawthorn, sycamore, maple, sorbus sp.
Carving spoons is a great way of experiencing the different properties and learning about different trees so do experiment.
The more fibrous woods ash elm and oak are not so well suited but still work.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
I'd go with willow - carves like cheese, but will teach you about grain - which will become important on harder woods.

I still enjoy carving with willow after years of carving - doesn't make me any good, I just enjoy doing it!

Ogri the trog

what this toerag says is not true, he's actually very very good!

cheers, and.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
If it is green wood, then it doesn't much matter, as most things carve well when green, but I'll put in a vote for carving ivy wood when green. It is stupidly soft, but dries hard. It is my recommendation for anyone starting out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE