Newbie Question - Bushcrafting in West Midlands

Nov 30, 2016
Birmingham
Hi All,

I'm very much new to the bushcraft scene but doing Field Archery have found a new passion with the forest.

I live in Birmingham and am looking for somewhere where I can go out for a forest walk and maybe use my Firebox to cook some food and make a hot drink.

However i'm struggling to find places as it's classed as a Fire / BBQ.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

JT

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I'm assuming where you do field archery is private land owned by someone... if so, use your history of responsible use on the land and exemplary behaviour to ask for permission to use your firebox in exchange for some free labour from time to time.

Certain assurances such as re-using the same spot so as to not leave fire scars all over the woods and to make sure the land owner has your contact details and prior knowledge of your visits go a long way.

There are also a lot more woodland campsites springing up that allow fires if you're after an overnight with no aggro. Getting permission to use land is notoriously difficult.

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
Hi All,

I'm very much new to the bushcraft scene but doing Field Archery have found a new passion with the forest.

I live in Birmingham and am looking for somewhere where I can go out for a forest walk and maybe use my Firebox to cook some food and make a hot drink.

However i'm struggling to find places as it's classed as a Fire / BBQ.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

JT
I used to live near Leicester. There's a ton of woodland north east of Birmingham which will suit your needs. Just have a look at Google maps. In my experience, stopping somewhere for a lunch time brew, setting up your fire box and getting a small cookset out will not raise the eyebrow of many people. A curious individual may stop by your resting place and indulge in polite conversation for a short while, as you cook your eggs, boil water or make a bannock. But other than that, you may well be left to your own devices.

I once found a nice looking woodland a short drive from my old house. I took to walking there, putting up a tarp and cooking my lunch on a small open fire, regularly. Eventually, I bumped into the landowner, while under my tarp with a fresh brew in my hands. He was suspicious at first, later admitting he originally thought I was a tramp or a dosser. I offered my brew and he accepted. We talked for a while and in the end, he said I could use his woodland whenever I liked so long as I tidied up after myself, didn't burn the woodland down and kept his generosity to myself. I am now the lucky person who has sole permission on a huge natural woodland.

Seeking out new places is part of the fun and allows you to explore and gain experience. Careful and discreet use of any woodland will likely go unnoticed and if you're very lucky, may lead to getting a permission all to yourself!

Best of luck buddy!!!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE