Newbie needs help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 19, 2008
Dewsbury
Hi

Well, Im a toatal newbie. I love the outdoors and always watch the ray mears programs and just love the idea of wild camping and bushcraft. Now Im going to book myself on a 2 day bushcraft course (suggestions welcomed) to get the basics.

So what I really would like to know is how do you find woodland that you can practice bushcraft in? Im based just south of Leeds and theres plenty of woodland around but not sure about the legality of "setting up camp" in some woods... I take it its against the law to have an open fire in most places too?

leon-1

Hi

Well, Im a toatal newbie. I love the outdoors and always watch the ray mears programs and just love the idea of wild camping and bushcraft. Now Im going to book myself on a 2 day bushcraft course (suggestions welcomed) to get the basics.

So what I really would like to know is how do you find woodland that you can practice bushcraft in? Im based just south of Leeds and theres plenty of woodland around but not sure about the legality of "setting up camp" in some woods... I take it its against the law to have an open fire in most places too?

Normally it's a case of speaking with local landowners and asking them if it would be possible to use their land. There is nothing stopping you from setting up a basha and a hammock for a day out and about. Sometimes when I am out walking I put a basha up and get the hammock out and sit in it and have lunch and wait for the kettle to boil:)

Fire is another matter, a lot of the restrictions on where you can have fires are actually byelaws and therefore they are set locally as the ones on Dartmoor are, so local legislation is the thing. Effectively you will need to check the rules for the area that you are in, but normally if you have permission from the landowner there is no problem.

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire
I have been thinking of doing this near me

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to approach the land owners ?

do you go with pre printed details ? how do you describe your intentions ?

when I describe what I do to people I know I always feel a little lame and I always seem to get the same responses about trying to be like RM or BG and how's your knots !

cheers

M

a12jpm

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 15, 2008
Perthshire
Start by asking if they would mind if you observed the wildlife on their land. Look tidy be polite and take a bottle of port - you would be amazed how many doors a £10 bottle opens. As the old saying goes "if you don't ask you don't get"

I managed to get my pigeon shooting sorted on quite a few places doing the above.

Good luck.

May 20, 2008
essex leigh on sea
Hi

you sound alot like me my friend sadly i live in essex in the leigh on sea region im glad to kno there are people like me. I like the advice people have to say thanks

May 19, 2008
Dewsbury
Thanks for the info guys.... most welcome...

What about the "nebie" course im looking for... Im looking for a 2 day weekend course to get all the basics..currently looking at the wildside 2 day offering?

leon-1

Thanks for the info guys.... most welcome...

What about the "nebie" course im looking for... Im looking for a 2 day weekend course to get all the basics..currently looking at the wildside 2 day offering?

You'll have to put a link up to that one as I don't know it off the top of my head.

Obviously location plays a part, in other words you don't want to travel half way across the country and end up knackered and not take much in.

The other thing to consider is what you already know and practice, although it can be good to learn other techniques it can also be very annoying turning upto a course and thinking "I already know this" all the way through it or even worse knowing that you could be doing an intermediate course instead.

You could a lot worse than Woodland Survival Crafts, Dave Watson is a very good and well respected bushcraft teacher and Ian Creswell that works with him is a really good guy as well. They are not a massive distance away from you either.

leon-1

Ps..

Whats a good online shop for kit??? thinking in the lines of flints and tarps?

Flints or firesteels?

There are a number, but you could try either Endicott's or Strikeforce supplies, both are reasonable cost wise and will do mail order and both Kev (who runs Endicott's) and Jasper (who runs strikeforce) are decent folk who will go out of their way to sort things for people if they can.

May 20, 2008
essex leigh on sea
Start by asking if they would mind if you observed the wildlife on their land. Look tidy be polite and take a bottle of port - you would be amazed how many doors a £10 bottle opens. As the old saying goes "if you don't ask you don't get"

I managed to get my pigeon shooting sorted on quite a few places doing the above.

Good luck.

Can i ask What is a bottle of port????

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
This is what I posted a while ago on the subject...

After spending many hours knocking on doors and sending e-mails asking landowners if I can play in their woods I contacted my local council woodlands officer. Within 3 hours he came back to me with this:-

"a 50 hectare mosaic of with 10 year old mostly native woodland and open space adjacent to moorland fringe and mature private woodland , some of which is ancient semi natural .
On the site there is a good chance of seeing red, fallow, and roe deer, fox, badger, peregrine , raven etc.
The owner would be prepared to let you camp there on a low impact basis. There is potential for much volunteer management work including tree planting, fence and wall repair, pruning/ coppice etc."

Chuffed just does not cover it!

When asking I did not mention bushcraft, below is the main part of the e-mail which I sent him. Hopefully it will be useful to someone else!

"I have a keen interest in British wildlife and am looking for a local woodland in which I can practice observation and identification of flora and fauna. Ideally this would involve the occasional overnight visit as this is when more of our mammals are active. Could you recommend any local woodlands that would meet my requirements, or alternately could you pass on the details of any local landowners that may be able to help.

Obviously I would be prepared to help the landowners with any tasks such as litter clearance, reporting poachers, general woodland management etc. and would adopt a zero impact approach on any visits to the woodland."

The thread link is below:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/index.php/Forums.html

HTH

Simon

May 19, 2008
Dewsbury
Amazing....

Sent out emails to my local coucil officials and they have come back today with a woodland site that I would be allowed to stay overnight !!!

going to check it out once i get back from cyprus

Thanks all...

DannyMack

Banned
May 23, 2008
Leicestershire
I've recently bought some gear from Camelot outdoor supplies, it's an ebay shop, seems like good kit and Martin at the shop was very helpful, why not have a look

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Ps..

Whats a good online shop for kit??? thinking in the lines of flints and tarps?

I've recently bought some gear from Camelot outdoor supplies, it's an ebay shop, seems like good kit and Martin at the shop was very helpful, why not have a look

What's the kit you've bought got to do with places to camp?

I guess he was answering the question a few posts up. I understand he wasn't banned for this post though.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
If your a newbie and you want somewhere to practice your new found pursuit, try looking in the Meet-up's section on this forum. Recently Tony has been working hard and divided it up into specific areas. Why not go to a meet-up local to you and do some networking as well as enjoying the weekend. You'll find that it's very accessable and you'll probably find out about other sites in your area. You'll also probably do some of that 'Fancy lernin' stuff and definately come away with a smile on your face and load's of tips. I personally have learnt so much from these meet-up's and made some life long friends at the same time. (aaawwwwww)

It's not a closed society; have a look at these meet-ups and either get on the thread or PM someone, whatever, it's a great opportunity to get out with like minded people and enjoy yourself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE