Newbie Axe Choices

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Guys - new to the forum and first post.

I'm a Scout Leader (and in the RAF) and have been skirting around the Bushcraft world for years.
Well, I've now taken the plunge, really enjoying it, and have been starting to purchase equipment.

I have; a Mora knife, DD Hammock and Tarp, Honey Stove, Laplander (from my sons for my Xmas Present) and a 12cm Zebra billy.

I feel what I am lacking is an Axe. Having looked around t'internet, I think what I want is a Gransfor Bruks Small Forest Axe.
Really, I want a good all round axe, not to heavy to carry, large enough to do some decent work with, but small enough to use for making kindling and maybe a bit of whittling to shift the big stuff before I use a knife.

You guys are the experts, and I could do with some advice. Money is a consideration, but I think if you get the product right first time you save in the long run.

Thanks
Mark :)

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Welcome to the family.I was lucky enough to get a small forest axe in a swap and if kept sharp its a good all rounder being used for just what you've described.its down to how you hold it for control for finer work.its manageable to carry in your pack.best thing is have a try with a few if possible.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'm not a fan of the SFA, i much prefer a hatchet. The SFA doesn't really do anything well, and its size makes it quite a bit more dangerous than a hatchet or full size felling axe.

After years of trying different axes, i've settled on a double bit which will have a 28" handle fitted and a husky hatchet.

I'd suggest a hatchet personally, many will say get the SFA. Its upto you really. Something like this would be ideal though.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Husqvarna-H...ef=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1354364548&sr=1-1

Gransfors have gotten too expensive for their own good IMO. I paid £40 for a new SFA about 4 years ago, they have nearly doubled in price since. Also the other cheaper manufactures such as husquavarna, wetterlings, hultafors, make axes that are just as good as gransfors products.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
the little axes are far more dangerous if you don't know what you're doing you miss with a big axe it ends up in the ground, if you miss with a hatchet it hits you in the legs.

having said that I do agree with Hillbill's comment that hatchets are more useful (in my opinion), and I'd recommend the Hultafors hatchet especially I've got one and I love it. Just make sure you read/ask around for tips on use if you are inexperienced

It depends what you want it for as there are different axes for different purposes.

I have an SFA (I think most folks do), its great for splitting small logs and kindling. Personally I find it too heavy for carving or furniture making, a hatchet is more practical. But I think others have pointed out, a hatchet is also a little more dangerous.

Windy

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I use the hultafors classic forest hunting and love it. Tbh I use it mostly for carving and and similar jobs. It's lovely in the hand and will perform when doing real tasks too. I also use a fiskars x10 and rate that too. As long as you take care, kneel when splitting etc and respect the tool, you'll be fine.

touched by his noodly appendage

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi and welcome to the forum, Mark. And thanks everyone for the info. I'm at the stage of thinking I do need a hatchet or small axe, for the same purposes as you Mark. but not sure what to get. Have just put the Hultafors one on the Yule-prezzie list ... heads up guys :D, especially Hubby.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hello and welcome.

My first answer would be learn how to use one, and sharpen it, seen loads of peeps with a GB or a branded axe that I could ride to work on and still walk afterwards, or you cant tell the difference from their saw, as they got so many chips in the cutting edge.

Get yourself a cheap one and learn how not to abuse it first, to be honest I use my Machttee more than may axe.

I have an old axe that I use, don't know the make, but its the same sort of size as the Wild Life Hatchet, I find its all I need out of an axe, by using wood wedges to split, a smaller axe can punch well above it weight.

The other thing to bear in mind is what sort of camping you doing, its ok having the gear but can you carry it all. buying the best first time may be the right thing, but buying the best, then never using it is the worst thing you can do.

Best idea is get along to a meet look at the gear other people are using, and see if you can have a go with theirs... that if they will let you have a go, some will not let others use their sharps.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Do you really need an axe?
I have a couple of axes and hatchets but find a saw both easier to carry and safer.
I have just ordered a 15" folding saw and will couple this with my MOD knife for splitting.
The saw gives a nice neat cut with little energy expended and the big knife is fantastic to baton/split with.
Yes an axe has its place if used correctly.

Shovel

Forager
Jul 12, 2012
Wherever I choose to live.
I plan on getting a Condor Woodworker, but It'll be the first axe of that size I'll have ever owned. It seems to have good reviews at it's pricepoint at 42 USD. But hey, if you can afford a Gransfors or Wetterlings, by all means get one.

Thanks everso much for you comments.
To be fair you have all got me rethinking. I spent this afternoon with a group of friends where the were all using hand axes/hatchets to split down to tiny pieces to feed small stoves (honey etc).

Thinking this may be the way to go for now and put the GB sfa on hold till I'm more proficient.

Mark

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Robin

Thank you for your thoughts. I had actually been reading your pages yesterday.

Think I'm settled on a hatchet now. Most likely a huffy as it appears they are currently made by hultafors buta little easier on the wallet.

Thanks for all the advice all

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Stonedog

Jan 6, 2006
The colonies, Kentucky
Sorry to necro-post.....but if you can get one, get the Council Tool Hudson Bay 18"....I took some off of the blade, in fact I made it the same width as the Gransfors SFA. I also re-handled it with a properly-oriented-grain straight handle.

Where I play it is a prefect balance....I am in KY in the US....the land of hardwoods....its hard enough to keep a keen edge, but not so hard to chip.

That being said, I also carry a small but usable saw....but an ax does have it place in my kit.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE