New woods knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dkabat579

Jan 24, 2010
New York, USA
I've made a couple of knives before but none of them had really turned out that well. I wanted something I could carry around with me in the woods for carving on hikes. The blade is a 95mm Polar set in curly birch with a brass bolster and the sheath has a pine liner I carved out of some old furniture timber. I didn't have a ring the belt loop so I just did a kind of hybrid dangler/loop deal, it sits pretty well and doesn't get in the way or bounce too much. The leather is treated with a number of coats of Snoseal melted in with a hair dryer.

knife1.jpg

knife2.jpg

knife3.jpg

And a blurry one of it on my belt (photographing your own crotch in a mirror is surprisingly difficult).

knife4.jpg

dkabat579

Jan 24, 2010
New York, USA
I did some more waxing to try and improve the color of the leather:

knife5.jpg

The one on the bottom is an untreated sheath I made for my Frosts 106 a while back (it didn't turn out so well). Both come from the same shoulder and are the same thickness. Some leather, like the thinner material used for the belt loop, will really darken up with wax alone; the thicker 7oz leather of the sheath looks more aged than anything else. I'm okay with it and the look is growing on me, but I had hoped for a much deeper brown. I guess I'll just have experiment with leather dye next time. In any case, thanks for the replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE