New way to climb a tree (or more accurately - a rope)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Some people on the forum climb trees for work or recreation and I thought some might be interested in this new piece of kit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=pgEIJuZLjSg

It has been invented by a bloke called Michael Spraggan.

I had some e-mail contact with him a few years ago when I started recreational tree climbing. As I understand it he is heavily into tree climbing eg climbing highest trees and likes to work out new ways of doing stuff - never met him though.

He says of the video:

"In this 8 minute video you will see me climbing at world record pace (yes, little me!) setting it up in literally seconds, and showing you the features of this brilliantly simple system. It runs rings around existing rope climbing systems in every way."

I don't know a lot about existing methods of tree/rope climbing (I just know the method I use) but looks impressive.

Have to say though that not of much interest to me because the thing I like about climbing tress is ...well.... climbing trees (not ropes) and working out how to find a route to the top.

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
That looks like an amazing bit of kit and I'm pretty sure if he can get that marketed properly he will be retiring pretty swiftly! Good luck to him; I can see that will be of major benefit to people who have to climb large structures such as bridges and the like.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
That looks like an amazing bit of kit and I'm pretty sure if he can get that marketed properly he will be retiring pretty swiftly! Good luck to him; I can see that will be of major benefit to people who have to climb large structures such as bridges and the like.
im with you on this bud, he is going to be one very rich man indeed, like you say with the right marketing the sky is the limit, pardon the pun.

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
Good idea but I do not see the point..
You will have to climb the tree to tie the rope then climb back down and go up the rope? May aswell climb it once, strap onto the tree and do what has to be done then come down... am i missing something?

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
you use a throw bag with a thin line that you either throw or use a BLOODY great catty to blast your bag over. once you've done that you pull your main line over and off you go up the tree on what ever system you lick to use. i use the Distel hitch when climbing at work....i only use the throw line when tree limbs are really high or i'm not aloud to use a ladder :)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i would think it has limited appeal, a few seconds saved is not most peoples priority, the top of telescopic extender being out of hands reach has possible potential for problems, full marks to the chap for ingenuity though.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i wouldn't use one, the time saved by the fast assent is lost through the time to set it up then change to a more convensional system to gain access to other part of the tree. he is climbing up a static line which isn't suitable for anything but assending, after which he needs to switch to a semi static tree climbing rope which with the use of a friction hitch you can assend and desend on and will hold you position hands free.

all the best climbers iv worked with keep it simple, prusik and bowline.

pete

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
"Do you see a sign on my garage that says Dead Lumber Storage?"....the guy looks Tarantino-esque lol. It just looks like a pair of ascenders with some webbing to me, unless i'm missing something?

jimmypw

May 23, 2012
Surbiton
This looks amazing. I have not watched the whole video as I am on my phone. I can't wait to inspect it in more detail.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I was a skeptic until I watched the vid. Looks a brilliant bit of kit, absolutely brilliant. Very easy to clip into the rope and not 'messy' so it would be easy to have a sling and crab for transfer to another rope.

As he says, the main advantage is how big a step size you can take.

It would be easy to combine with a chest harness as well.

I've done (in the dim distant past) a fair bit of prussiking up ropes and it is a grim business compared to this system.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE