New TV Show

G

Gripper

I'm a TV producer here in OZ and I am at present editing the Pilot to a new series called "Surviving Down Under". It's a little similar to the BTM but with more on bushcraft and survival skills, still including bushtucker and filmed in the different enviroments of Australia. As you probably know people die here on a regular basis (2 about 2 weeks ago here in WA) when travelling in remotes areas totally unprepared. Our presenter took over from Les in his Bushtucker roll for the army plus he is now and has been for 20 years the Aus SAS survival instructor as well as training the Army's Survival Instructors and writing the Instuctors Survival Manual - he knows his stuff that's for sure. I thought I knew a fair bit about bushcraft but having spent a fair bit of time in the bush with Rick filming I am learning a whole lot more...

I was wondering if there were any ideas from the group about subjects that could be covered or that you would like to see covered as a potential audience - remembering that it's going to be shot Down Under but will include desert, rain forest / jungle, coastal, temperate forest, the Kimberley & Pillbera and Tassie.

If I can find somewhere to post some pics I'll put some up from the promo.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Gripper as someone whio will be walking across 260km of the Pilbarra range next year I would say cover Water mate!!

Selection of clothing and vehicles would be good subjects too especially with the eco-tourist in mind.

Will PM you with a few other ideas.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
As Gary says (be good if you could post your ideas on here as well as PM them), also it would be good to see skills based stuff, I appreciate that food and the like will be quite specific to the area but things like cordage, containers (emergency backpacks, foraging containers, weaving from plants etc) Knife use, first aid, fire/cooking, shelter......etc etc

Not just a camera shot of them but the how too and the why they are being used. These would be universal skills that we can take on and use over here which would be very useful :D

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Tony said:
As Gary says (be good if you could post your ideas on here as well as PM them), also it would be good to see skills based stuff, I appreciate that food and the like will be quite specific to the area but things like cordage, containers (emergency backpacks, foraging containers, weaving from plants etc) Knife use, first aid, fire/cooking, shelter......etc etc

Not just a camera shot of them but the how too and the why they are being used. These would be universal skills that we can take on and use over here which would be very useful :D

No worries Tony.

I just PM'd him and explained that as I will be running a course next year in the Perth/Pllbarra region with Bob Cooper where we will be walking across the range and staying in cattle stations ect any subject matter applicable to this area would be apprieciated.

I also asked him if he fancied filming the course, I know Bob has run a couple of courses for the TV and figured that maybe a British audience would appreciate seeing a few of their countrymen surviving in the outback.

Nothing major.

whitebuffalo

Banned
Oct 28, 2004
Cornwall
Gary said:
No worries Tony.

I just PM'd him and explained that as I will be running a course next year in the Perth/Pllbarra region with Bob Cooper where we will be walking across the range and staying in cattle stations ect any subject matter applicable to this area would be apprieciated.

I also asked him if he fancied filming the course, I know Bob has run a couple of courses for the TV and figured that maybe a British audience would appreciate seeing a few of their countrymen surviving in the outback.

Nothing major.

Wow that sounds really good Gary.

I met Bob Cooper once along time ago he's a great chap and if he is leading your course your in the best hands possible.

I'm to old to join you on that trip but it sounds like the experience of a life time.

Hope you'll tell us all about it when you get back.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Gary said:
No worries Tony.

Very cool :D That should be a great experience.

Another one for the list Gripper.....How to make equipment, cooking stuff, boat if needed! needle and thread etc.....

G

Gripper

Hi, Thanks for the idea, keep them coming. We plan to cover vehicle travel as we are being supplies with a couple of Nissan Patrols and a Navara so each episode will feature some aspect of driving in that particular terrain. Rick is also a 4x4 instructor for both civilian agencies and the military so he should be able to cover most situations. We are also including outside agencies in each episode for example Flying Drs, Search & Rescue, SES (State Emergency), Police, Aboriginal Trackers etc.

Water will be a major feature here and we shot a variety in the Pilot Episode including transpiration bags, solar stills, desalination and water from plants and trees. We showed Roo butchering and removing sinuse from the tail etc and their uses, fish trap construction various forms of navigation and constuction of containers, cordage, shelter construction and a fair bit more.

I will try to attach a couple of images from the promo to another reply.

Cheers

Mark

G

Gripper

Hi,

I would hope it will sell in the UK and US not sure wether or not it would end up on Pay TV or not over there. I think shows like Snakebuster made it to the BBC or C4 as well as Sky.

Mark

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Sounds like it'll be a good project covering loads of the really interesting aspects of bushcraft - really hope it does get to the UK, even if it's only on a DVD with lots of extra's like really detailed techniques demo's :D

It'd be nice to see something on how to deal with environmental effects on the body / mind, such as how to prevent sunstroke, sunburn, or sun blindness, other than taking shelter which would be the primary response of course. Natural or original approaches to dealing with biting bugs would be interesting too.

The final thing I'd like to see is less emphasis on last-ditch survival and more of a sense that travelling in the bush can be fun as well as a challenge, although not in anyway devaluing the importance of safety and being thoroughly prepared.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Gripper,

sounds great, as NB said a bit on the preperation for the different environments, vehicle packing, recommended kit that sort of thing. I enjoyed the Bush Tucker Man so I am looking forward to seeing this if I can get it. Thanks for asking for input.

Brian

G

Gripper

Brian,

I always think it's a good thing to speak to the people who are passionate about a subject as they are going to be your hardcore audience. I have always loved bushcraft and spent much of my youth on the South Downs, Cornwall, Wales and up in the Lakes (being from Surrey, Perth and the space here gets a bit of getting used to!) I hope we can get a great show together - it's certainly going to be fun to make - 8 weeks at a time in the bush...

Mark

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
How about how to survive (if it's possible...) a bush fire? My farm has just gone up in smoke as a fire raged through the valley, so it'd be very useful to see what preventative measures (for protecting land, property etc) and escape methods are available.

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Spacemonkey said:
How about how to survive (if it's possible...) a bush fire? My farm has just gone up in smoke as a fire raged through the valley, so it'd be very useful to see what preventative measures (for protecting land, property etc) and escape methods are available.

Really sorry to hear that mate :( :( :(

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Thanks Boaty. Still, something good must come of it. Thankfully, I was 800 miles away at the time, and I can just work a little longer to pay for new trees, but the poor guys who live there and rely on their crop have lost everything. Luckily, most live in the village and it didn't reach that far. The thing that guts me the most is that the trees would have been nicely mature, if a little small, when I move out there full time in a coupla years. Now I have been set back a few years...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE