New TV Series 23/01/10 Heads-up.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I'd like to challenge Hugh F-W to do that. If you ever watch his programmes he only picks a few things and adds them to shop bought stuff.
Have you seen A Cook on the Wild Side? He has help (gamekeepers, poachers and Richard Mabey as the programme consultant, for example) but I don't recall anything being shop bought.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Have you seen A Cook on the Wild Side?

The book based on the series is pretty good on foraging, although a lot of the recipes are a bit fancier than your average bushcrafting. Boxtree published it back in 1997 (I got mine on remainder a couple of years later), but its just been reissued by Hugh, partially on the grounds that original copies were going for up to a hundred quid on the internet!

You can get the new one for £14.99 from his website (there's a DVD as well), or you can pay £20 for an original via Amazon. I like the look of the ones they've done on mushrooms and the edible seashore, and the series sounds pretty good - they'll probably repeat it on More 4.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
To me the programme was much the same as other's that have gone before, they were well equipped to start with, they found small amounts of food for themselves,and got the rest by bargining and working for it(id like to see if mr or mrs average turned up at these places asking for work or food without tv camera's would get helped out the same way, i doubt it).

deeps

Forager
Dec 19, 2007
Monmouthshire
To me the programme was much the same as other's that have gone before, they were well equipped to start with, they found small amounts of food for themselves,and got the rest by bargining and working for it(id like to see if mr or mrs average turned up at these places asking for work or food without tv camera's would get helped out the same way, i doubt it).

Concur with these remarks. Basically three ruperts go large in a campervan. Entertainment not education and even then it only makes the C4 4pm slot. Looks more like HFW branding with brief intro then just a voice over. Shouldn't think advertisers are paying much to shoulder this slot.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Not a bad start I thought. They did however have the training and equipment to go diving and spear fishing, so they shouldn't starve.
As andybysea said, I bet if the cameras wern't there, they would have been pushed to get a Scottish chip shop owner (or any other nationality come to think of it:D:pokenest:) to swap a massive block of cooking fat for a fillet of fish, or get a whole side of smoked salmon for a bit of wood chopping:rolleyes:.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll

Aye, I would have to agree mate. 30 minutes of very average television. So far not over impressed. It might get better in the future.. one can only hope it does anyway.

Cheers,

rancid badger

Yes I totally agree with the above. All very contrived to be honest.

I am absolutely certain that without the TV entourage and indeed; production team, to arrange and sort everything out, ordinary folk would be firmly told to go forth, in no uncertain terms.

That said; I started watching and got a bit of the old "skin creep" feeling, ( "deeps" mentioned 'three ruperts':D) but then soon, actually warmed, to the three lads involved.:eek:

Concerns:
If anything was mentioned about the legality of using crab traps and spear fishing, then I missed it and the same goes, for where and when to gather shell fish safely. Important points, which need to be checked before 'jumping in':D

I was a bit disappointed, that it was only 30 mins worth but I'm happy to state; that I found it MUCH more interesting and watchable, than 'Wild Gourmets' which was absolute cow duds.:rolleyes:

I'll watch the next one and probably enjoy it.

I reckon 6.5 out of 10

cheers

R.B.

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
I watched it. Warning - :rant: coming....

One let down after the next. They're given food to start with. Erm hang on, wasn't the premise of the programme that they had to find their own.. never mind, I guess that's just in case.

Oh and then they have fishing rods, dry suits, wetsuits, spear guns. Why not give them hunting rifles and a helicopter and a 4x4 and ...

Ol' butterfingers drops the fish on the floor and scrapes it up. Everyone laughs; but I'm not laughing, I'm thinking they're not taking this whole fend-for-yourself thing seriously enough. There is no mention of any structure to what they're doing.

Then they manage to barter this and barter that (as pointed out, the people they are for food reluctantly agree thanks to the camera). Wouldn't you want your shop on TV if you had the chance? Even if only the locals recognise you, you can expect a sudden rush of interest worth far more than what you gave the three stooges.

They can work for food. How different is that really from working for money and then buying food?

I sat there getting more and more frustrated and eventually almost angry. I was about to drop the series from the recorder's planned recordings when my wife said she'd like to see the rest of them, which is proof that this has nothing to do with fending for yourself - she has no interest in Bushcraft, foraging or hunting.

I was about to say it's like watching Bear Grillis in triplicate and then I got the "three Ruperts" reference. :lmao:

This is just another Channel 4 fly-on-the-wall drama. Have we not had enough of this tripe?

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Just been watching Jeremy Clarkstons Meet the neighbours, on Dave - in about 5 mins of it he managed to be entertaining, and instructional with a snippet about foraging for barnacles. Which he described as looking like a rhinos toe nail, but tasted great.

Jeremy Clarkston 1 - 3 Hungry Men 0.

Cheers,

EDIT - decided to leave a message on the CH4 site, only to see afterwards "Thanks for your comment, only the best will be picked..." so basically anything to promote the show will be shown and the negative comments ignored, as is standard for CH4 customer service...

Last edited:

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
I missed it but from what's been said I reckon I didn't miss much, and I was looking forward to it.
These programmes always seem the same, the worse part is they don't even attempt to cover up what really happens..

MikT

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
Oh well, I thought it would be a good "heads up":confused:
I saw that it was on and it promised more than was delivered, just managed to watch yesterdays because I was working. But hey, we all make mistakes:sad6:
I'll carry on watching it in my own little world:deadhorse: with the hope that it will get better!

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Hmmm, just watched it on catch up.

Three laddies who've never missed a meal in their life, playing at scrounging for the camera. It was about as real as a certain Royal spending a night with the homeless.

Entertaining for what it was, but not what I was expecting.

I'd love a VDub T2 though, even though they do break down a lot.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I did'nt watch it because I fogot about it but your comments make it sound like another C4 programme a few years ago called The Wild Gourmet. A coincidence perhaps.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Aye,

I watched this but its a bit lightweight. It's just three lads having a nice wee holiday on the west coast.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE