New to forum, and have a question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WanderLust

May 11, 2011
US
First, I'd like to say that I am impressed with the level of knowledge and craftsmanship abroad. Second, I am a little confused about this section of the forums. It seems to me that the nature of bushcraft is to be able to craft what you need in the wilderness, and most of the posts here seem to be people making things at home to use on trips/outings. I was wondering if someone could explain this to me, I've noticed this trend on other forums as well. Thanks in advance.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
It seems to me that the nature of bushcraft is to be able to craft what you need in the wilderness

Firstly...Hello and welcome
Secondly... I can't speak for everyone, but this is what it means to me. I don't think that anyone would argue with you in terms of what is the purest form of bushcraft. However, bearing in mind that the forums are also open to many other things that are 'outdoorsy' most people that discuss topics here just have a sincere enjoyment for being outdoors. The bushcraft element is the interest that binds us all together. We all learn stuff here every day and people are very knowledgeable and very friendly.

People post here from all over the world, I am sure you will be made most welcome, and I look forward to hearing about more of the bushcraft ways from over the pond.

Cheers
Sack

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
firstly, welcome to the forum, nice to see the "foreign" contingent continuing to grow.
secondly, i think that bushcraft means a lot of different things to a lot of different people, to some it is about going out in the woods and making what you need to be comfortable, to other's it may be about taking lots of kit with them so that they can leave nature as untouched as possible. to some on here it's a way of making a living, to other's it's a way of daydreaming their way through a mcjob. i don't think i'm alone in saying that i have no real idea of what bushcraft is or isn't, i just happen to find a lot of things that interest me on this particular forum.

on another note, i think a lot of the photo's of projects that people have undertaken whilst out and about tend to be found in the out and about section of the forum.

hope you enjoy yourself here wanderlust

stuart

WanderLust

May 11, 2011
US
Hey Sack, thank you for replying to my post. I will keep that in mind as I continue on here, and I will be posting about what it is that I do bushcraft wise over the pond. With that said I do find this forum much more agreeable with my idea of bushcraft vs the bushcraftusa fourm. Lots of interesting post, but it seems to have become more of a zombie/post apocalyptic forum than bushcraft. I think I can raise my feet here, looking forward to it.

WanderLust

May 11, 2011
US
Hey stu, thank you for your reply as well. Both you and sack have raised good points and they have been noted. Also thank you for the heads up about the proper thread I wish to read, will be looking into that shortly. Thanks again, and I believe you say cheers over here!

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
First, I'd like to say that I am impressed with the level of knowledge and craftsmanship abroad.

We do our best. Tough job though, taking into mind we just left our caves ... One day, when we're big boys we try to achieve and reach the same level of knowledge and craftsmanship as in the home country :nana::lmao:;)

Second, I am a little confused about this section of the forums. It seems to me that the nature of bushcraft is to be able to craft what you need in the wilderness, and most of the posts here seem to be people making things at home to use on trips/outings. I was wondering if someone could explain this to me, I've noticed this trend on other forums as well. Thanks in advance.

It's what it says on the tin really. DIY & Traditional Crafts are past time projects. Making alcohol stoves, leathercraft (anything from sheaths to pouches), DIY clothing, etc.

Out & About is to show your trips to membership. If you made traps on your trip you can include them, or if you made a hangi, etc.

Bushcraft & Survival Skills is for specific skills. If you want to show people how you made a trap, or if you want to know how to make a trap, etc.

Fair Game though is for ANYTHING that contains pictures of dead animals (unwritten rule; so people - who for whatever reason don't want to see these pics, can skip this section - without running into (for them) unwanted pics) or talk about rifles (guns)

Bushcraft Chatter ... well for anything bushcrafty, bit vague - admitted. Recently it's a trend for people to bung anything of any topic into this section, as they either don't read or don't care ... or think for that matter. :vio:

Hope this helps for the time being :D

Welcome to BCUK btw from another foreigner :p

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello and welcome :)
I make things at home (knives etc) to make making things (tables, chairs, cordage. spoons etc) possible :D
I also make clothing, leather pouches, flint and steel kits, books etc at home to make my stay in the woods more comfortable for myself and others.
Work and play have a big crossover for me as I make for sale and personal use - not all of it can be done in the woods - but that is where my heart is :)

WanderLust

May 11, 2011
US
Hey Ahjno...your cheeky response to an honest compliment was funny. Thanks for the advice on the topics, it was helpful. New to forums in general, so I will probably make more mistakes later on.

WanderLust

May 11, 2011
US
Thanks John, I have seen your stuff on here and I like it. I am hoping to teach myself enough to begin crafting things later on, but that will have to wait, I have no workshop, own a smal condo so space is limited...planning on getting into leatherwork soon, any advice would be welcomed...thanks again.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks John, I have seen your stuff on here and I like it. I am hoping to teach myself enough to begin crafting things later on, but that will have to wait, I have no workshop, own a smal condo so space is limited...planning on getting into leatherwork soon, any advice would be welcomed...thanks again.

Well - I did say that I would not sell my DIY book to any more forigners as I have been ripped off too often ...but I might make the exception if you are interested :D

WanderLust

May 11, 2011
US
Thanks John.... I'll take that into consideration, I am not exactly at that point yet, but will let you know when I am, and talk shop if you are still interested in that time.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Hi Wanderlust & welcome........Bushcraft for me is not just an activity but a state of mind in that we learn to do things for ourselves, for example, if something breaks we may try to repair it rather than throw it away & buy a new one, we make things, modify them to suite our needs & of course prepare for future outings which is usually done at home rather than in the field. The more things we do ourselves the larger the scope of activities & interests. I don't think narrowing bushcraft down to one thing or another is possible or desirable, it has such a large palette & countless ramifications & we are the the richer for it.

flexo

Forager
Dec 3, 2010
france
for example when i carve a new axe haft,i do it into the wild,because:
1) it's where it belongs
2)every cutting tool to do so,is portable
3)i don't have to wipe!

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
For me bushcraft doesn't have to have trees around me to feel inspired to do something creative. Sometimes I'll do somehitng in my workshop becasue I'm used to working with certain wood working tools on a bench. Other times I reserve certain projects for when I have time to go out into the woods for a play. the satisfaction of completing a project is addictive. Naturally when I get home again I want to keep that feel smug feeling going by doing something else "Bushcrafty" instead of fitting architrave around a door frame... or making bookshelves like I should be doing right now.

Even being here at the forum and seeing stuff people have done or made is inspiring as I want to try my hand at that the next time I go out. It's almost a doing it by proxy sort of thing.

Oh and welcome.

John's book's worth the tenner he's asking for it too, got some really good ideas in it.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
hi wanderlust, if you take up the art of leathercraft, and need any advice i'm allways willing to help, just drop me a pm, and ill help as much as i can.
take care.
lee.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE