New Tent, Advice Requested

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

UKYanky

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2017
Grantham
Hi Folks,

I'm looking at retiring my old 3 Man tent this year, and want to get ready for the winter season.

I'm after a tent to fit the following criteria:

• Big enough for 2 people and kit storage comfortably.
  • Doesn't have to be lightweight, it'll be used for camp sites and meets.
  • I'd like to be able to stand up in it.
  • Less than 700 quid. Obviously cheaper the better.
  • Preferably have a bug screen, full enclosure type thing. Will be used all year round depending on event.

As always thanks for any help provided.

Neil.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Standing room means it is mostly the tipis/lavvus that would fit your requirements. I have not tried the Helsport lavvus, so I'm not sure how good they are in mosquito/midge countries. I do know that the Tentipi without inner tent offer no protection against them If you want to skip the standing room requirement then I think some of the Hilleberg tents are within your budget: a Nammatj 2 GT would tick every other box (unless it breaks your budget), and would stand up to just about any weather you could imagine.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Depends what you mean.

Best tents ever made where steel frame canvas jobs, room to live in and bomb proof. People also like bell tents

For a tent you can carry I like my vango mistral, but if you want to stand up in it, I know terra nova laser space and the vango galaxy.

You probably need to specify a bit more

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Woods 9' x 12' treated canvas with an exterior steel tube frame. Stand-up room (7' ?).
Not hard for one-person setup. Floor and bug screens. Door flap lifted as an awning.
Even a camp table & chairs plus bed space for 3 adults. Made all the difference in the world on a rainy day.

My D2 has twins so they got it all just a couple years back.

Dad's tent was a 9x12 Woods, much older and had a center pole.
There was a bracket on the pole to hang a Coleman lantern.
I miss that.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Helsport lavvus are good. Bought a tunnel tent from them and it's very well made and designed. The lavvus also look nice tents. I think they've got bug netting. Our tunnel even has netting on the outside of vents (under the shelter of the vent hood) which can be zipped open. The inside of these vents have a solid cover which can be zipped shut or opened as needed. I see no reason their lavvus aren't similar with their vents.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Just looked for Woods tents on line. Half the price that I expected. The variety (with stand-up room) was good to see.
They have come a long way from the monstrosities we had.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
596ff9d5c652a109f8572d87d94d3e72.jpg
e7110fd8a649e6afa13edfbabc0ba10c.jpg

I'm just going to leave this here.

When we first acquired it I was horrified. Having spent some time in it I grudgingly love it. Does all that you have said and is made of cosy canvas. Even the orange bathes inside in a warm glow.

Look on eBay for Canvas Tent and something like it will come up. I had the zipper replaced on mine end of last season. Wasn't cheap but the tent will keep on going for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
On the other hand, if it is car-camping you can make a tipi or ger/yurt for way less than your limit. I've set up both in less than 30 min solo... The flatter roof of the ger could be problematic in heavy rains, use something well impregnated for the roof. A small fire will tend to deter mosquitoes, and a mosquito net over the sleeping area will work fine during the night.

A tipi is simpler to make, but less ideal in rain and you need to manage long poles. A ger calls for some woodworking skills to make the frame (in particular the tono, the central ring). But a ger is luxurious as a living space! Say 3-3.5 m diameter, walls 1.2 m high, apex 2.5 m or so should work well for 1-2 persons.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Robens Klondike. Silicon impregnated poly cotton. Superb in high winds, utterly waterproof and can be pitched solo in 15 minutes.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/robens-klondike-tipi-tent-p400831 I got mine much cheaper than this by hunting around on the internet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Second that.
Just spent a week in mine whilst the lake district reminded us why it is so called!
Not a drop of water got inside, plenty of standing room, and as the man says it's a one-man pitch in 15 mins (taking my time).
Added bonus, much cooler in summer (should it ever arrive) as it breathes more easily than poly tents.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE