New Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
If you're having trouble with the damper you should talk to the people you bought it from. That kind of thing is too dangerous to muck about with.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
What was the price 'to the door' including taxes etc?

The total value was marked as $### and postage fees were marked as $99.37.

I paid about 32% in VAT&Import duty on the marked value and combined postage.

Total Gross wt was 22lb 4oz.

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Dave

Very nice stove mate. Bit of a daft question but after you put the damper bar through, is there something on the other end on the far side of the flu to push on to hold the spring in tension?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Dave

Very nice stove mate. Bit of a daft question but after you put the damper bar through, is there something on the other end on the far side of the flu to push on to hold the spring in tension?

Hier Paul. Thanks. I've just figured it out. I feel a bit of an idiot, as its very simple. might be a bit difficult to explain though. There is a small 'U' in the pin.
If I turn the pin so the U is facing up, then push the pin all the way in, so thr spring is under tension, then turn the U 180degrees, so the U is now facing downwards, then when I ease the tension off the spring, it clicks and locks into the cast iron damper!

Dead easy when you know how! :slap:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
The total value was marked as $### and postage fees were marked as $99.37.

I paid about 32% in VAT&Import duty on the marked value and combined postage.

Total Gross wt was 22lb 4oz.

I think he meant what did it cost you in total mate including taxes etc

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I think he meant what did it cost you in total mate including taxes etc

I sent them an email before I ordered it, and they were very helpful and accomodating..

Cant remember the exact amount, sorry.

If youre thinking of buying one drop me a PM, and I'll try and dig it out.

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Hier Paul. Thanks. I've just figured it out. I feel a bit of an idiot, as its very simple. might be a bit difficult to explain though. There is a small 'U' in the pin.
If I turn the pin so the U is facing up, then push the pin all the way in, so thr spring is under tension, then turn the U 180degrees, so the U is now facing downwards, then when I ease the tension off the spring, it clicks and locks into the cast iron damper!

Dead easy when you know how! :slap:

I get you mate. Sounds like a clever system. I forget the name of them now but the tent Shewie has would be ideal for you to stick it in or a british army arctic tent would go nice too

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Got the stove going the following day and took a few snaps. It is more prone to rust than other steel ones Ive used, as the last one I had was stainless.
Within a week of this burn, it had developed a few red rust spots, which i mostly removed with some wire wool.
Ive now coated it in a layer of raw linseed oil. Which was to hand.
I dont know if this will season it, or blacken it next time I use it, [I hope it does] or if I'll need to apply a thin layer of oil, after every use. I may end up getting some stove paint, and spraying it black.

I was surprised at the flue at first. I dont like a wobbly flue. I like to have an erect one [Theres no other way of saying it!]
After some heat and a bit of creosote, this is quite nice and tight now. [:nono: ]

I placed about half an inch of sand on the bottom. I might make another steel bottom, slightly raised, and add that at some point.

It draws very well with the door closed. Having dodgy lungs, Im paranoid about carbon monoxide.

Overall, it seems a very good stove.

IMG_0876_zps8223b64c.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0877_zps6950e8f3.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0878_zps24487229.jpg

IMG_0884_zpsdf76aad7.jpg

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Very nice stove you have there.

Cheers :)

Im going on a canoe trip end of this month and will be taking up to a 270kg load in my NC prospector, including the stove. Manufacturer claims you can carry 430kg load.
I'll be lashing everything down. I should still have at least 6 inches of freeboard. Was reading SOTP again, where Bill Mason says 3 packs weighing 81kg would displace about 230kg of water if swamped. I'll be mainly on flatwater, up to grade 2 rapids. Two of us and the dog in the canoe.

Soooooo, just for the hell of it, I've been experimenting with packing solutions this evening. :D

Put the kni-co in an old hessian nut sack, [aherm!] inside an exped 50 litre dry bag, inside an old army kit bag, then tried to drown it in a rain bucket.

Just to see how bouyant it was.

It floated like a football. :Wow: [Gotta see stuff with my own eyes before I believe it.]

Could only get a quarter of it under the water. Kept bobbing back up.

For your viewing pleasure!

[

[Is there a better way to spend a summers eve than conducting experiments with one's kit in anticipation of an adventure?!
I highly doubt it. :werd:]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE