New Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thought some would enjoy a few photos of my new stove. Its a Kni-co packer stove. Arrived last week, all the way from Oregon USA.

Some of you will have seen it in Ray Mears clip where he uses it in his snowtrekker tent in Canada:

[video=youtube;sTiqlZQ_I-0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTiqlZQ_I-0[/video]

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thanks Gray. Looks well made. I had to rush off, and have just got back, so havent had much time to fiddle with it yet. anyone else used a kni-co stove? I have a question about the damper.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
anyone else used a kni-co stove? I have a question about the damper.

No?.........Come on!

Surely some of you have used a kni-co stove!!?

Ive put the damper into the flue as indicated by the instructions, but it seems to be in a permanantly closed position.
Bit odd really. Something obvious Ive missed no doubt.

You can see the black cast iron round damper here:

kni-co3_zps5ce88c55.jpg

Instructions state that you; 'assemble the damper by removing the pin from the damper plate. Slide the pin through the damper sleeve hole, through the damper plate, then out the adjacent hole'

Easy enough. You just stick the pin through one side of the flue, threaded through the damper, as in the pic above, which is inside the flue, then out the other side of the flue section. But the damper just sits in the closed position inside the flue section. You can twist the pin so that the circular damper 'opens' inside the flue. But it doesnt stay open, when you let go of the pin!

Come on you clever boys and girls! What am I doing wrong? :)

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Loving that stove mate!!

Im looking forward to seeing pics of it in action!!

I have been looking at stoves for a while now.

How long did shipping take?

Cheers
Steve

Marco1981

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 18, 2011
Orkney
If it isn't staying open, I think the spring that puts pressure on the outside may not be strong enough. On my domestic wood stove, the flue damper has a long bar and a spring between the flue section and the lever for opening/closing damper. It is quite stiff on mine.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
If it isn't staying open, I think the spring that puts pressure on the outside may not be strong enough. On my domestic wood stove, the flue damper has a long bar and a spring between the flue section and the lever for opening/closing damper. It is quite stiff on mine.

Right. Interesting. Will have to look into that. Thanks Marco. [If thats all it is, then all I should have to do is stetch the spring a little bit, so it adds a bit of pressure?]

you can see that the spring is not touching the flue here:

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g416/BR1GANTES/kni-co6_zps1d336235.jpg

Shipping? not long really jacko. 2-3 weeks I think.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice bit of kit Dave, I nearly bought one myself last winter but hacked up a PC instead.

You'll get some answers over on wintertrekking no doubt

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Loving that stove mate!!

Im looking forward to seeing pics of it in action!!

I have been looking at stoves for a while now.

How long did shipping take?

Cheers
Steve

Nice bit of kit Dave, I nearly bought one myself last winter but hacked up a PC instead.

You'll get some answers over on wintertrekking no doubt

Yeh, I saw yours shewie. It looked good. I dont really want to join another forum if poss.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
I like the look of the stove can i ask how well it holds up to the heat as it is only thin gauge ,not knocking it at all as genuinly interested. Do you have to line it with fire bricks? or is it good to go as is. on the damper i would say that the damper is falling down as marco said the spring tension isnt right, atb wayne

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I think its 22 gauge? The instructions state that you should use an inch of sand/dirt in the bottom.
Maybe I need to adjust the spring tension then.
I'll have a fiddle in abit and see.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
The attached folding table is a great idea. Very nice.

I probably shouldnt say this, but the postage was quite expensive, so that was thrown in for free....Shhhhhh! ;)

The water heater seemed unneccesary, as a pan of water serves the same purpose.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
ah i see hope you get sorted and hope you show it in action, atb wayne

Yes. The next question is which tarp/tent to use it in? It really cries out for something without a groundsheet, just boughs and skids. Im gonna have to sort out an arctic trip at some point in the future and stop pontificating about it. :D

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE