New sheath and after this one the last for a while.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ayup all,

Just finished this sheath and it took an age not to mention being a complete pig.

I have made loads of the pancake types in the past and decided to do something different for this one. So i thought why not stack up the leather ala 3D printer style, no reason other than I had been reading about 3D printers that day.
How hard can it be I said to my self to add more welts. Well it was a pain in the posterior trying to keep all the welts in stitch line. That and the added width meant there was a huge amount of thread needed as well as having to jostle each set of holes into line at nearly every stitch. In the end due to the knife width i needed four separate welts at the handle and three thinner welts at the blade. Also the waste of leather making all of these welts was just not worth the hassle, but it did come out quite nice.

IMAG3497_zps88946526.jpg

IMAG3502_zps3748f659.jpg

IMAG3503_zps29845ef6.jpg

IMAG3506_zps53f962d2.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's certainly a sturdy piece of leatherwork! And you got a really good colour and finish on it, too. Very nice work there..........................................atb mac

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hiya....i'm not a fan of wetforming or stacked welt sheaths as i find neither grip the knife sufficiently after prolonged wear....but cracking work and lovely looking...

i'd've glued the lot in place....then drilled through with drill....then stitched...then no jostling needed etc....

regards,

a

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
hiya....i'm not a fan of wetforming or stacked welt sheaths as i find neither grip the knife sufficiently after prolonged wear....but cracking work and lovely looking...

i'd've glued the lot in place....then drilled through with drill....then stitched...then no jostling needed etc....

regards,

a

Thanks all.

I agree that wet forming seems to leave the leather lifeless and always tends to slacken off after a while. To make sure it has the best chance of keeping its grip I made it a very tight fit and proper knotted saddle stitch.
I did actually try to glue some of the welts together but the drill wondered horribly. Resorted to glueing the two outer and do the others the hard way.

Last edited:

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Lovely sheath D, and I can only imagine the rough patch you went through with all them welds.
worth the hassle though in the end ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE