New sea kayaker_need advices please

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Hi all,
me and my wife would like to begin some kayaking this summer. Locatin will be Croatia (Peljeasac peninsula), our goal is to do some brief trips along the coast, 3-4 days out with the kayak, sleeping in a small tent.

Due to space problems, we need for inflatable kayaks.

I found these kayaks (for two person) that seems to meet my criteria:
http://www.decathlon.it/kayak-yakkair-hp-2-id_8114509.html
or
http://www.decathlon.it/advanced-frame-convertibile-id_8116738.html

Now, what do you think about?
Do you had any better kayak to suggest me?
All suggestions are welcome.
Many thanks, Alfredo

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
In my opinion those inflatable "kayaks" are more of a bathing toy then an actual mode of transportation. They do not handle wind and seas and do not have any space for your gear.
I would recomend that you rent a "real" kayak in Croatia.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
In my opinion those inflatable "kayaks" are more of a bathing toy then an actual mode of transportation. They do not handle wind and seas and do not have any space for your gear.
I would recomend that you rent a "real" kayak in Croatia.
what i always thought, dont like the way they handle either

Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Alfredo there are several manufacturers of folding kayaks, but the best known is probably Klepper. I have only paddled the double , and that was a long time ago, but I know they are highly rated. I'm afraid that I can't be of much more help than that, but you could try the forum on UK Rivers Guidebook, I'm sure someone on the sea and surf section would have the answers you need. Best of luck, and enjoy your paddling.
Stuart.

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Alfredo there are several manufacturers of folding kayaks, but the best known is probably Klepper. I have only paddled the double , and that was a long time ago, but I know they are highly rated. I'm afraid that I can't be of much more help than that, but you could try the forum on UK Rivers Guidebook, I'm sure someone on the sea and surf section would have the answers you need. Best of luck, and enjoy your paddling.
Stuart.

Many thanks, Stuart, I'll had a look. :)
Alfredo

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Have you checked out paddling.net Alfredo? Theres lots of reviews, its a go-to for me for info on yak models.

Mike_B

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2009
Perth, Scotland
What I find a little worrying is that here's someone who says he's a "new sea kayaker" and who obviously doesn't know anything about sea kayaks or sea kayaking, who is wanting to go on some seriously exposed waters, and not one person has recommended he gets some proper training.

Alfredo - I strongly suggest that you find a good outfitter / guiding company in Croatia and go out with them instead of risking your own and your wife's lives by attempting to go to sea without any knowledge either of sea kayaking or the area.

If you do want to buy a folding boat, then Klepper as suggested, or Feathercraft. Both will cost lots of money - both are proper sea kayaks. There are some reasonably decent inflatable kayaks, but none are suitable in my opinion for anything other than a short day trip.

As has been suggested, the main resource for sea paddling and kayaking generally in the UK is the UK Rivers Guidebook. Have a look there. The Almanac might be helpful to you, and certainly there are some links in the Centres page and Trips page which will point you in the right direction.

Enjoy. Mike.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
What I find a little worrying is that here's someone who says he's a "new sea kayaker" and who obviously doesn't know anything about sea kayaks or sea kayaking, who is wanting to go on some seriously exposed waters, and not one person has recommended he gets some proper training.

Alfredo - I strongly suggest that you find a good outfitter / guiding company in Croatia and go out with them instead of risking your own and your wife's lives by attempting to go to sea without any knowledge either of sea kayaking or the area....

+1 to all that. I don't know what experience you have Alfredo, but if it's none, then there's a LOT more to transporting yourself around on the sea than getting hold of something that (on a good day) floats. You have to be able to plan for when everything goes wrong, and handle it when it does.

In England there are many courses available as evening classes for example at local technical colleges, costing very little money. Italy is a great seafaring nation too, and there must be things like that available there. I would suggest that you consider at least a course of twenty or thirty lessons with a substantial amount of private study before you consider yourself ready to be the captain of any seagoing vessel, even in daytime in good weather. Here in England we would say you're aiming for "Day Skipper" level. I'm not exaggerating, Alfredo, I gained the "Yachtmaster" qualification over 15 years ago.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE