new scope and zeroing it in

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
hi my name is james
i have recently gotten hold of 2 westlake b2 airguns one a .22 and one a 177.
I have a problem i have got 3-9x40 sights on both of them but i cant seem to zero them in and i am gradually losing my mind and thinking about given them away is there anyone that can help me i have made sure that the guns a level and clamped but still not able to do so i tried also shooting a pellet and then move the up and down left and right on the scope but noipe still not able to do it please please please help

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Go in close - say 10 yards, see what is going on on a large A3 sheet, then move out as you move it on.

When I got my .243 second hand it was shooting 32 clicks high - would have been waaay off a normal target.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
If they are spring power clamping is not a good idea as doughster said start close do a five shot group then look where you are before making adjustments have fun

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
a bore sight would help - any reputable gun shop will do it for you (a device that fits down the barrel and gives you an approaximate zero) - if they charge you more than a fiver, they are rip off merchants - if you were closer, I would offer for no charge

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Easy way with an air rifle as already said; shoot close up and adjust to centre then move away adjusting as you go.

You can buy bore sights but for an air rifle I wouldn't bother.

JRjr

Nov 12, 2012
Dundee
I used to do this with airsoft rifles:

1. set up a piece of paper (I used A4 @15m) with a cross on it and take a shot aiming at the middle of the cross, then without moving the rifle set the crosshairs to where the pellet hit the target.
re-set the rifle to aim at the middle of the cross again and repeat untill you no longer have to adjust.
2. move back some distance (30m which is an airsoft snipers minimum engagement distance) and repeat to check the accuracy.
3. repeat (@45m after this with airsoft it becomes increasingly difficult to hit a sheet of A4 lol)
although airsoft rifles are ridiculously inaccurate by design the same principle applies and you should have better results with an airgun.

Also assuming they are second hand it might be worth cleaning the barrel checking the crown and perhaps getting them serviced as these can all effect the accuracy.

If it is a new scope is there a possibility it could be defective?
perhaps taking it to a local club and asking for advice might be a better help as these things are sometimes better to see in person.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The scopes are probably parallax adjusted to 100 yards..............needs to be adjusted to 30 yards for an air rifle. Depends on the scopes whether or not you can do it yourself.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
I would have to agree with the others- its likely due to clamping it (if its a springer) and parallax error.

You can download a free, good windage and zeroing target from the alabama department of fish and game (google it).

They also do a good round .22 target for once you have sorted it.

Mar 18, 2012
london
I have the same problem, but then i am an idiot, bought a cheap rod rest so i (thought) i would be able to keep rifle steady, no point in adjusting scope if you cant be sure you are the same length away and steady, still couldnt get it right! so i heath robinsoned a two V rest to set the rifle on top of the rod rest and it worked a dream (i think) now how do i get the bunnies to stay still and smile???????????

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Spring airguns really need to be Zeroed in the position you most use. I always did mine laying down. Once zeroed the POI (point of impact) can change if you use other positions like kneeling. Also springers should never be put on a hard surface or clamped during zeroing as it will change when you start holding the rifle in normal use.

I was taught that a rifle should be zeroed using a light grip and rested on a soft surface if doing it prone. I use a pillow or shooting bean bag to support my support hand. The rifle butt should also not rest on the ground as this can ruin your groups. The spring causes recoil both forward and back and this firing cycle needs the user to adopt a consistent firing grip unhindered by any outside support directly on the gun otherwise the shot placement becomes erratic.

If your gun is new it may be dieseling causing erratic power which can make the shots wander vertically. Make sure you use a quality pellets and make sure they are not deformed as this will cause inaccuracy in any direction. Sometimes a gun will just not group with one kind of pellet and another will have to be found.

Another thing to check for is the rifle itself. Look for any loose parts, also badly machined barrels may cause pellet damage though rare. If all else fails get someone else to try and use it to check for user error?

Steve

Mar 18, 2012
london
All good advice. thanks. but laying down is a no no with all the wet around!!
Spring airguns really need to be Zeroed in the position you most use. I always did mine laying down. Once zeroed the POI (point of impact) can change if you use other positions like kneeling. Also springers should never be put on a hard surface or clamped during zeroing as it will change when you start holding the rifle in normal use.

I was taught that a rifle should be zeroed using a light grip and rested on a soft surface if doing it prone. I use a pillow or shooting bean bag to support my support hand. The rifle butt should also not rest on the ground as this can ruin your groups. The spring causes recoil both forward and back and this firing cycle needs the user to adopt a consistent firing grip unhindered by any outside support directly on the gun otherwise the shot placement becomes erratic.

If your gun is new it may be dieseling causing erratic power which can make the shots wander vertically. Make sure you use a quality pellets and make sure they are not deformed as this will cause inaccuracy in any direction. Sometimes a gun will just not group with one kind of pellet and another will have to be found.

Another thing to check for is the rifle itself. Look for any loose parts, also badly machined barrels may cause pellet damage though rare. If all else fails get someone else to try and use it to check for user error?

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE