New scales for my SAK

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
The old red scales on my SAK were looking worn and tired so I had a go at some new scales from some scraps of wood in my shop!

ugyty9a7.jpg

ny2u9evu.jpg

a7yzabuv.jpg

apu6yres.jpg

bahu6y5u.jpg

pygamu3e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
I am not sure on the wood since it was small bits left over from past projects. If I were to guess I would say blood wood, walnut and maple for the separation line. I have small bits from over 100 different species of wood that I used for segmented turning, some are marked but the scraps aren't unfortunately.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
It may look intricate but all it takes is a bandsaw, double sided tape and some wood scraps. Once cut its all glued up and your ready to shape the new scales. Carving the grooves for the tweezers and toothpick took the most time, being very careful to keep the fit snug enough to hold them but not so snug as to make it impossible to extract them! All in all it probably took a couple hours if you leave out drying time for glue! The toothpick and tweezers were not in for the pics as I wanted to make sure the glue had fully cured. The last thing I wanted was to glue them into the scales! That being said they are in now and are fitted as intended. Snug enough but not too snug!

Thanks for all the nice comments!

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
You make it sound easy! I'm alright at making things but reckon I'm too cack handed to make it look that tidy. Nice to see the tweezers and toothpick intact, usually people don't bother but they're the whole point of a sak in my opinion.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Lovely work. I have been staring at the layers of wood for some time but still can't figure out how I would attempt the same?

It's a shame we can't swop the cork-screw for a ferro-rod and the toothpick for a striker? They are two tools on my SAK that I never use.

Steve.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Lovely work. I have been staring at the layers of wood for some time but still can't figure out how I would attempt the same?

It's a shame we can't swop the cork-screw for a ferro-rod and the toothpick for a striker? They are two tools on my SAK that I never use.

Steve.

I find the corkscrew is invaluable to untie difficult knots!:)

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada

Steve.

Great ideas! Personally I could live without the toothpick and corkscrew as well as the parcel hook! Ill see what I can come up with!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE