New sak scales. pic heavy.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I lost one of the scales on my old sak, so I decided to make some new ones. I've never done this before, but inspired by some of the posts here, I thought I'd have a go. Here is the result, pic heavy.001.jpg002.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg008.jpg010.jpg011.jpg012.jpg015.jpg023.jpg025.jpg030.jpg031.jpg033.jpg036.jpg037.jpg039.jpg040.jpg043.jpg042.jpg045.jpg

The wood is I think Tiger Myrtle, with 2 coats of Walnut oil. The scales are a bit chunky, but the knife feels more comfortable in the hand. Comments would be appreciated, thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 66

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I like the look of it, nice wood pattern, no tweezers now though, a little more work and it would be A* with them.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Very nice indeed Colin. Certainly looks chunky, but sometimes a chunkyhandle like that can breathe new life into a SAK. Very well done! I see the creative spurt you had at the Moot hasn't worn off then LOL!!

Been looking at my SAK as well now but it's brand new so ripping the scales off of it would be a shame. I htink I'll wear it in a bit before emarking on a wooden overcoat for it.

goodjob

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Been planning something like this for a SAK my brother got me from HMS Invincible. Got the ships emblem to transfer too. Dont think it will be this good, but let's wait ad see.
I like the idea of transfering the emblem, thought about the cross on the remaining scale, but I have no idea of how to do it or what tools required. To be honest I've just been winging it. Cheers.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Very nice indeed Colin. Certainly looks chunky, but sometimes a chunkyhandle like that can breathe new life into a SAK. Very well done! I see the creative spurt you had at the Moot hasn't worn off then LOL!!

Been looking at my SAK as well now but it's brand new so ripping the scales off of it would be a shame. I htink I'll wear it in a bit before emarking on a wooden overcoat for it.

goodjob

Creative spurt!!!!! My mind is boiling with ideas fighting to be released onto an unsuspecting world. :nana::thinkerg:

Seriously though Hope you had a great time and got home safe. Atb Colin.

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Great work. I'm working on the same project and I'm triyng to solve the problem of the chunky scales. Probably I'll try with a pre cut sheat of walnut. just yesterday I measured the thickness of the scale and it is 3.3 mm and I need to mantain this measure in order to fit the knife in its very narrow sheat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE