New Ray Mears knife with marked blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay131

Nov 20, 2021
Aberdovey
Hey Coach,
Your replies and conduct in face of some tricky and sometimes inflammatory comments have been exemplary. I’m not sure I’d have been able to maintain the same level of discipline!
I truly hope the blade is sorted for you and that your investment starts to bring you pleasure instead of doubt.
Peace,
Jay

Reactions: Coach

matarius777

Forager
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
Just a quick update. Paul Cook of Woodlore has just emailed me to say the knife would have had to have been seen by Emberleaf anyway, so contacting them in the first instance was the right decision.
Having followed this thread, the ups and downs and trials and tribulations with avid interest, please, please let us know how you get on and what they say is the issue!

Reactions: Robbi

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
Any update on this?
Hi, yes there is. I posted the knife Tuesday 2pm Special Delivery to arrive Wednesday before 1pm. It didnt!. Emberleaf didnt receive the knife until Thursday dinnertime (yesterday!) hence the lack of news - I have put in a claim for late delivery.
Dean has been in touch with me and I will let you all know the outcomes when I get the knife back.

Reactions: matarius777

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
Hello all, I have just received the knife back from Emberleaf and its is now as it should be, highly polished and razor sharp. Dean said the marking was "Minor surface patina from something slightly acidic" but wouldnt suggest or speculate as to what that was. My personal observation is that vegetable tanning solution is described as 'slightly acidic', make of that what you will.
However my faith in the knife has now been restored and Emberleafs customer care has been brilliant from start to finish.
Well happy.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Quod erat demonstrandum.

Carbon blades simply get a patina in use, if you touch them, or just from the leather sheath.

But it's no fault to talk about such stuff with the maker of course. I also talk to my shoemaker and he obviously appreciates the feedback.

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
Quod erat demonstrandum.

Carbon blades simply get a patina in use, if you touch them, or just from the leather sheath.

But it's no fault to talk about such stuff with the maker of course. I also talk to my shoemaker and he obviously appreciates the feedback.
Ita vero.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Roughneck

Mar 17, 2021
Chelmsford
As the "COACH" suggested £600 as damn it, I would not expect or want anything blemished on the blade regardless of how it was put there. Seen the same Knife on utube and they all look perfect.
It will be interesting to see how the Tip fairs with use being so spear like ?

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
As the "COACH" suggested £600 as damn it, I would not expect or want anything blemished on the blade regardless of how it was put there. Seen the same Knife on utube and they all look perfect.
It will be interesting to see how the Tip fairs with use being so spear like ?
As I understand it Ray Mears wanted a tip more capable of the fine carving required for a netting needle as an example. I have no fears for the tip it being just under 4mms thick 1cm from the very point and I would imagine it was rigorously tested prior to release.

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
Quod erat demonstrandum.

I learned that the "hard way". I baked some bread in my duch oven and then sliced it while it was still warm. That knife went from looking brand new to a nice patina in 1 minute :)

Reactions: Erbswurst

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
I take it you're just trying to stir it?
But in case you missed it the marks weren't caused by use they were caused by contact with an acidic substance which is a completely different thing

;)

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I suggested there wasn't need for some folk to post further, but they went ahead anyway. There really was no need to come back and start arguing again.
A few posts have now been removed and since the reason the thread was started has been resolved, the thread is now closed.
Thank you.
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE