New Ray Mears knife with marked blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
Hi, I recently bought a R.M. Woodlore Pro made by Emberleaf from Woodlore. It wasnt until after first use and cleaning afterwards that I noticed marks on the blade that look like the brown /purple discolouration you get on overheated metal. I took a photo and emailed Woodlore, not sure if they actually looked at the photo but the only response I got was an assurance of their quality control. Im worried that the blade has been weakened and may fail at a later date, can anyone offer advice please?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Have you tried sending the pictures and your observations to Emberleaf themselves? As the makers, they should (a) know what has happened and (b) be able to suggest a remedy. It might be worth a try.

Reactions: Erbswurst and Coach

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
If you show the pic here there’s a good chance someone will be able to explain what has happened to the steel. It might put your mind at rest or give you cause to take it up with Woodlore.

Reactions: Coach

Terry.m.

Forager
Dec 2, 2014
Kent
I would definitely do as others have suggested, continue with woodlore as that’s where you bought it, also Emberleaf to make sure they have completed a visual.
The knife has to be fit for purpose, I have the Alan Wood one and it’s 100 pct.
If you are worried do not leave it.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Coach

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
I'd be interested to see the photo?

Sent from Somerset using magic
Sorry dont know how to put it on here, there doesnt seem to be an obvious mechanism.
Have you tried sending the pictures and your observations to Emberleaf themselves? As the makers, they should (a) know what has happened and (b) be able to suggest a remedy. It might be worth a try.
Thanks, will try that.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
to post photos you need to use an external photo host, post on a mobile with Tapatalk, or upgrade to a paid membership.

Where on the blade are these marks?

On O-1, if it was fully hardened and tempered, then heated to a brown/blue colour, this would soften/toughen the material. If it is at the edge, it would be failing now, in that it would not hold its edge like the rest of the blade, failure by edge rolling. If it is on the spine or sides, this would just make the blade less likely to snap,

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
Thanks for the help. No idea what an external photo host is or Tapatalk etc so unfortunately will have to pass on the photo guys - the markings are halfway down the polished side of the blade below the ray mears/ emberleaf logo going down to the edge and in three waves going to the tip. Not sure what the technical term is for this part of the blade - maybe the grind?

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
On bright steel tempering is what usually gives the colours (it is not true colour but light interference in the thin oxide film). Darker colours mean higher temps and as C_C said, usually too soft for knives at the edge. To get a definite answer the blade would have to be tested for hardness, a simple procedure if one has the equipment.

Reactions: Erbswurst

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Thanks for the help. No idea what an external photo host is or Tapatalk etc so unfortunately will have to pass on the photo guys - the markings are halfway down the polished side of the blade below the ray mears/ emberleaf logo going down to the edge and in three waves going to the tip. Not sure what the technical term is for this part of the blade - maybe the grind?

If you message me I can send you my email and put the photo up for you

Reactions: Erbswurst and Coach

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
That doesn't look like anything I would be worried about. The photo isn't close enough to be sure, but a couple of possibilities come to my mind and neither would be cause for concern.

Could be residual colour from tempering that has only been partially removed by sharpening.

Could be light corrosion/staining that has occurred in line with where the blade was wrapped for protection during final finishing.

I would lean towards the latter. Blades are often taken to final finish before handle fitting, then one has to protect the blade from damage while the handle is glued and shaped. O-1 steel is prone to discolouration.

If the blade cuts well now, the temper is fine.

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
Dont think its staining, I unsuccessfully tried to remove it with Duraglit which had no effect whatsoever. The knife cuts well I just find it unsightly and for a little under £600 I expected it to be perfect not blemished.

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
If it was a temper colour from over heating then it would only be surface coloured. Polishing would remove it.

Staining usually goes deeper than just the top surface.
Just shows you how much I know! I thought it was exactly the opposite, Ive left an empty pan on the hob in the past and got exactly the same discolouration which wont come out... even with metal polish. You live and learn!

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Temper colours are made by an oxide layer with a thickness of about the wavelength of light, thin indeed. Usually taken away by the final buffing or cleaning.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
So youre saying that although unsightly it shouldn't affect the performance of the blade.. or its value?

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
So youre saying that although unsightly it shouldn't affect the performance of the blade.. or its value?
The oxide layer itself does not, if it is a mark of too high tempering temp then yes. The proper hardness of the blade can only be accurately tested by measuring it, sharpening it does give some indication, an experienced maker can tell correctness fairly well by this method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE