New point, shoot and scoot camera

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
I'm on the look out for a new point and click camera and am after some suggestions. I've currently got an Olypmus Camedia C360 which is really good, although a little bit bulky and very battery intensive (despite me using 2500mAh rechargables!). I've also got a Fuji S5500 which I use for semi-detailed stuff (although is bulky as hell, battery intensive, and a pain to lug around!).

I'm looking for something smaller (much thinner as the C360 is 5cm thick and makes me look like a freak when tucked in my trouser pockets!). It should also have a higher resolution (5 or 6 MPs), with at least a 3 x Optical zoom. Ideally it will have a decent Macro function too.

I'd like to stick with AA batteries due to their easy availability overseas.

My budget is around the £150 mark.

If you have any suggestions, or use a particularly good digital camera, please post below. And no, I'm not interested in buying trousers with bigger pockets!!!

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Hows about a Canon IXUS. They are really light, hard wearing, I dropped mine from a locker onto a tiled floor, and it works perfectly.

Battery is re-chargeable, memory cards are cheap, and they fit on a belt, or quite comfily in your pocket.

I cant remember the last time I used my Canon EOS stuff.

Cheers

TC.

(Plenty on ebay to choose from).

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Batfink said:
I've also got a Fuji S5500 which I use for semi-detailed stuff (although is bulky as hell, battery intensive, and a pain to lug around!).
I'm really surprised you say that about the S5500's battery life. It has one of the best in its class. I use it as my second camera and it never fails to surprise me how long it keeps going on one set. I think you will have difficulty finding any camera with much better battery life, especially because you want one that runs on AAs. DSLRs have very good battery life but use Li-ion, and of course aren't p+s like you want. Other than that I think you'll really struggle. Good luck, and have you checked out www.dpreview.com? Has brilliant reviews.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
As a forerunner to Topcat02's suggestion.
What about the Canon A85 or A95, perhaps a little bulkier than the Ixus series and though requiring 4 AA's seems to last well. They should be close to your price range too by now.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
Shewie said:
I`m no expert on digital cameras but I bought a Sony DSC-W17 and it`s awesome
Interestingly, I've been looking at the Sony range. My folks have one and I was really impressed with the response time of the camera - and the pictures they've come out with are superb... plus a friend of mind works for Sony... BLAG!!! :)

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
I just got a Fuji S9500 - but i have yet to play with it properly and I am going to have to read the manual.

I have been using the Fuji S2800 for quite a few years. I can't recommend that enough - although it is not slimline. 6x Optical Zoom and 2.5x Digi. Dont be fooled by the 2M Pixles, the inaards of the camera boot it right up. The software is quite good too - especially if you are using your USB.

I have been looking at them on ebay over christmas for a friend and couldnt beleive how cheap they are now <£50 for one with a box and all the kit. I would but another at that price if mine broke.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE