backup camera?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
i'm tinkering with the idea to get a small backup pocket camera for those occassions when my faithful "fuji finepix 5600"" stays at home (=too bulky, sh***y weather, bushbashing up and down steep hills, out on a boat etc.).

what i have in mind would be a compact (digital) camera which "lives" permanently in my shoulderbag, good for close-up shots of small objects (tricky with my main camera), decent quality but not breaking the bank (or having me curse) in case of loss/break.... .
one option i consider is the "nikon coolpix AW100 (="our" office camera; which has the advantage of being 33ft waterproof (=good in case of rain or unplanned bath in a river) and 5ft shockproof as well) but i'm open for other options, too...

any suggestions?!:confused:

Aug 20, 2015
Colorado
I don't carry a small backup, but I got a Canon S100 for my wife, and it's a capable little camera. You might have good luck with finding a bargain online. I think the latest model is S120, so an S100 or S110 might be a good deal.

i just watched the review in brancho's link (although it's difficult to understand anything when the loudspeaker outside run on full blast (which they do since days in preparation for the rockconcert which happens here tomorrow...:()) --seems the "nikon" did not do too well... . unfortunately the olympus is a bit pricey (limited budget) over here; the canon highcountry mentions is cheaper. as the description i found comes in japanese (which i canot read..): is it waterproof?!

Aug 20, 2015
Colorado
i just watched the review in brancho's link (although it's difficult to understand anything when the loudspeaker outside run on full blast (which they do since days in preparation for the rockconcert which happens here tomorrow...:()) --seems the "nikon" did not do too well... . unfortunately the olympus is a bit pricey (limited budget) over here; the canon highcountry mentions is cheaper. as the description i found comes in japanese (which i canot read..): is it waterproof?!

I don't think the s100 is waterproof. The image quality is excellent, though. For a more rugged (and expensive) Canon, try the D30.

try this one at a good price and did well

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-L...&qid=1440182275&sr=8-1&keywords=lumix+dmc+ft5

The Nikon was not bad it was not as good and if you use it already at work it will be easier to learn to use

unfortunately they do'nt deliver to japan but maybe i can find a local supplier who has them for a reasonable price (considering it's a back-up camera i do'nt wanna go too expensive..). has anyone used the "fuji XP70"?! it is available on amzonjapan for a reasonable price and came out as one of the 2winners of the test in post #3 ....

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
unfortunately they do'nt deliver to japan but maybe i can find a local supplier who has them for a reasonable price (considering it's a back-up camera i do'nt wanna go too expensive..). has anyone used the "fuji XP70"?! it is available on amzonjapan for a reasonable price and came out as one of the 2winners of the test in post #3 ....
I didnt realise you were in Japan. It will be cheaper over there to buy any of these cameras

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
I've got an xp70 and I think it's very good indeed. Waterproof and takes good quality photos. Not as good at the DSLR, but not far off. And for a compact, I would recommend one.
My brother has one too, and he puts it on the mast of his wind surfer for some action videos.
I've used it at altitude (19,000 plus feet) and had no issues with the cold (-20c), as some people did. It's been in the sea, on the beach and in the pool. Never had an issue with condensation, however it helps that it's got WIFI so you don't have to open the cover to take out the SD card, to download your pics.

i have not pulled the trigger yet as i currently have some other challenges to sort first... . i just did a quick check to see how much the fuji xp70 would set me back---> there is a fuji xp80y on the same website: it is cheaper but listed as 50ft waterproof and 5.8ft shockproof -compared to thirty-three ft /5ft for the xp70- BUT the description contains less details for thexp80y.... . does anyone have a side-by-side comparison or know where i can find one?

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
My missus bought an XP80 a few months back. She is well chuffed with it and gave it a good thrashing on our holiday in Sept, including a thorough test of the waterproofing. The picture and video quality is not up with a good DSLR of course, but still very nice, feature packed, and easily portable.

o.k.- on monday i pulled the trigger and since today i*m owner of a fuji xp80: it came with manual instructions in japanese[ rather useless for me...]- but i found an english version on the net so now i*m working myself through this one;); there was also no memory card includet but i scrounged one from an old camera which is not in working order....:cool:

right now i*m charging the battery: i really dig the idea that i could charge it on a computer via USBcable- saves weight when travelling

tomorrow i plan some tests to see how the camera performs....

question: does anyone know how to get rid of that beeping noise when the camera gets switched on??? not very useful for wildlife photography...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE