New plant ID question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
might it be this:

nehe2_001_lhp.jpg

common name ground ivy scientific name Glechoma hederacea

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ground Ivy, creeping charlie, or Alehoof, I think.

It's edible as a salad or in a stew or as a vitamin rich tea (C I think...useful in the darker days of the year since it's an evergreen)
It's a perennial weed everywhere Europeans took it :rolleyes:, but it's really quite a nice little plant.

cheers,
Toddy

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Is it a 'meandering' type of plant? That sprawls across the ground with lots of little sprouting little stems. Also it should smell minty when the leaves are crushed, if so id say it was ground ivy and makes a good tea.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, yes, it is an acquired taste to many, I suppose.
Bit like nasturtiums that folks keep telling me are edible and very tasty......uhuh :rolleyes:

cheers,
M

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Cheers folks, good to know. Know I can rightfully say I know almost all the plants in my wayside, and I owe it all to you people!:)

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Here's something I've google translated from a norwegian description of the plant:
"Ground Ivy is a plant with a strong connection to magic and witchcraft. The story goes that on Valborg Mass Eve, the night before 1 May was Ground Ivy picked and tied in a wreath that was worn on the head during Mass the next day. Then one could detect witches by looking at their eyes.

Ground Ivy had in ancient times importance as a spice in beer brewing. The herb gave the beer a good, tart flavor, making it brighter and more durable. We know that the Ground Ivy was used in this way in the 1500s, but the herb was later replaced by hops. Ground Ivy could also be used as vegetable, preferably in soups and stews, or as an ingredient in salads.

The chest diseases were Ground Ivy considered to have particularly good effect. In England they made a drink called Tea Gill (Gill Ale) of dried cross button that got in boiling water. The drink was sweetened with honey, sugar and liquorice. Gill Tea was a popular folk remedy cure for prolonged cough. The drink seemed cool the fever, and was used to relieve violent coughing with lung disease.

Also by a number of other ailments were Ground Ivy previously widely used. The English herbal doctor John Gerard wrote in his Herbal of 1597 that the herb was effective against tinnitus and hearing impaired, but also useful for all kinds of inflammation, the spots on the cornea, and the itching and pain in the eyes. Also against toothache would Ground Ivy be an excellent remedy. Hildegard of Bingen (1098-1179), in their writings also extensive discussion of Ground Ivy's medical effect. There is enough content of tannins and bitter principles that made herb in ancient times had as good a reputation as a drug against a variety of diseases."

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE