New Paddle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Thought I'd post this here too, the full story is over on SotP if you're bored. I had arranged a paddlemaking course with the guy that runs Moosehead canoes, it's something I'd always wanted to do and just never had the time or confidence. Super pleased with it, amazed that I've managed to make something so nice
yikesannim.gif
testament to Graham Mooseheads teaching!! Some (well lots of) pics

P3190003.jpg

Also tried a bit of pyrography using a soldering iron and a nail, worked OK too.

P3190010.jpg

Balance point seems pretty good

P3150022.jpg

When I brought it into the house from the garage the linseed oil was weeping out it like a mad thing, must be the change in temp from the garage to the house. Hung up in a cool cupboard being wiped every couple of hours soon slowed it down!! And some more pics

P3190006.jpg

I like the asymmetric handles, not to everyones taste but I like 'em

P3190007.jpg

P3190009.jpg

Cheers,

Alan

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Cracking work Alan - there is nothing like the feeling of a wooden paddle over a 'modern' one is there?

goodjob

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
T'is a thing of beauty :approve: Very well done.

Hear ? why don't canoeists cover the end tip with thin copper like old fashioned sea oars ? It'd save a lot of battering at the end on river rocks without adding more than a few grams of weight.

cheers,
Toddy

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
They can do but these days most manufacturers use some resin. I'm going to see how this one does without it then think about getting some gob putty from the missus and making a resin tip for it.

you can see a resin tip on this guy and an SotP guy talks about them here I'm sure he won't mind me knicking his pic;

IMG_4044.jpg

Cheers,

Alan

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Graham is a genius - he made me some paddles and a wood canvas canoe. But that paddle you made is superb, even making allowance for Graham's teaching, and I love to logo !

NS

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE