New one

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I'm just finishing this one up, needs final sanding and oil. 5" blade of 3mm 01 tool steel. Micarta and birch bark stacked handle.

2007_0323Image0008.jpg

2007_0323Image0004.jpg

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Thanks folks :) .
This is a further modification on previous models. I left the first 2 inches after the handle straight, with a steeper convex edge for power cutting. the edge then starts climbing gently towards the tip with shallower convex to provide a good area for slicing and food prep tasks. It then rises steeply to the tip for strength.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
British Red said:
Now thats a sweetie - lovely work monsiuer le Snuffers
You're not saying you like a convex edged knife! :eek: Just kidding, and it's only a very slight convexing.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
woodwalker said:
that balde seems wider (from spine to blade edge) than most, did you do that to get more weight behind the blade, or to raise up the handle?

Lovely knife btw, I assume its handle collected bark?

woodwalker
The wider blade is something I've taken from my favourite kitchen knife, it's great for chopping and scooping up stuff. It also gives you alot of metal to grip when you choke the blade to work with the tip without your fingers getting too close to the edge. Balance wise it is dead on the brass spacer.
The bark wasn't harvested by me, I got it from Brisa. The micarta was offcuts from full tang knives. This knife was a spur of the moment one to try out the design ideas so I just used what was to hand.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Snufkin said:
You're not saying you like a convex edged knife! :eek: Just kidding, and it's only a very slight convexing.
No mate, but I could soon grind the convexing out :D

<sticks out tongue>

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I was at work today, looking up Global knives in a brochure for a customer (nasty horrible things they are) and I noticed this knifes' similarity to Japanese Deba (butchers knives, though this one has two bevels rather than the single, chisel bevel of the Japanese knives). There is nothing new under the sun, I supppose....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE