New on site venue? The Tea Brewer?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Get out there and say it.

I'd like a place on site a bit like the Naughty Corner that's dry. Somewhere where adults and teenagers can gather round a fire, there's always a kettle on, where wood carving and other sharps and practical skills and tools use and sharing can happen, alongside sharing on all other levels.

Why? Well, there used to be main shute - but it lacked a heart somehow. The naughty corner is not everyone's cup of tea, but people may still find value in a common social gathering spot in evenings (or at other times of the day).

I guess it would generate moderate noise, but tearoom volume rather than pub.

My initial thoughts brought up the below issues to resolve if it were to have a trial run -

- location - where to site it. Maybe in areas such as main chute or could even be towards the quieter end of the site?

- sponsorship - it would need a minimum number of persons committing themselves to make it work - hang out there, manage the fire and the kettle, observe safety, oversee its development..... I'd be happy to be a co-sponsor. Anyone else?

- closing time - up for negotiation

What do people think?

Richard

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I know there are a good number of folks on site that abstain from caffeinated drinks and alcohol but hot chocolate is certainly popular!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Sounds like an excellent idea to me. Could be done at the chute I guess, or maybe inside the fort for a more intimate setting? Wouldn't want to interfere with Dave Budd's stuff of course, and I guess the chute area would have to be left clear for the morning meet which might add to any sponsor's burden. Or maybe the morning meet could be shifted to the area in front of the building?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Great idea rich
shouldn't be beyond the reaches of us to sort something out
if hot water is supplied rather than tea/ coffee people can bring their own preferred powder if their cup
I would suggest siting should be somewhere close to a water source!

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Oh my goodness. Lets not exclude the chocolate drinkers!

How would a spot that used to be "Scotch corner" work? A little further into the woods. Come to think of it I used to get lost trying to find it a few years ago.

I suppose I am thinking of setting up camp near the venue and looking to be further from the Naughty Corner I guess.

Richard

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We used to have evenings under the chute behind the fort, it's protected there and noise isn't so much an issue, it might be worth resurrecting it as an evening area?

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Hi Tone,

If this idea is to fly (sounds like it might) then I have to make it clear that onsite unfortunately, although I have brought the issue, personally I probably can't take much of an active role this year other than attending (and possibly bringing a couple of teas). That's because I will be attending for the first time as a family and camping probably in the further away areas. Also I won't be arriving till late afternoon on Friday 4th, so won't be beyond setup and eat mode till the Saturday morning. And, we depart on Monday 7th.

Essential features:

One or two individuals to arrive on site in the first week with intent to make it work and pull it together
A significant fire and fuel supply
Fireplace set up to be easy to put a brew on - small or large - over part of the fire (one end of a long fire?)
Kettles
Seating - ? logs brought to the area
Lights - many creative options here
A couple of committed individuals to be around/ sociable/ practical on the active sessions.
Water on tap (from a carrier/ barrel)
Informal/ welcoming atmosphere

Desirable:

Some teas/ other beverages
Signage (creative)
powdered milk (if you hanker after traditional tea rather than bushcraft teas)
some basic safety rules

Interesting possibilities:

artwork (created on site)
programme
some cooking/ food prep

Preparation:

planning for heavy stuff (fuel and seating) to be where it needs to be
setup of fireplace
a few people to agree to take a role in making it work

Maintenance:

What needs to be done to get fire etc going, clear up from one session, make it available for other activities in the day, and then get it up and running the next night?

And:-

Anyone got a better name for it than The Tea Brewer?

Rich

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
The original Scots corner (which was under a chute and had the massive kettle) which I visited did still have a bottle of scotch going round...

There's often people still under the main chute of an evening being a bit more chilled out anyway.

The naughty corner itself goes in peaks and troughs. Typically after a noisy night, there's a quiet night (most are burnt out having had only a couple of hours sleep) and there will often be a bit of music and light chatter. You don't need to drink there. Though language isn't moderated I guess.

Jupiter Jean

Feb 6, 2017
Kent
I've got quite a bit of 'out of date' tea in a cupboard (frankly I don't think tea goes out of date).
Happy to donate some.
(I buy it, taller husband hides it in tall cupboard I can't reach, I buy more! 😂)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
How about we make a range of bushcraft teas available? I've got a jar of sycamore leaf tea that is surprisingly good. I may have a moment to make some bramble tip tea that is my current favourite.

Bushcraft teas can be made out of many non toxic plants, either dried or fresh leaves mostly. Wide variety of possibilities. Some, like bramble tip, are well known and very palatable. Others may be an acquired taste.

Jul 22, 2014
East Sussex
Will arrive Friday so hope this has been set up, otherwise I will help as much as I can. Will bring the uber-coffee machine of espreso-ey goodness and hand grinder. I shall forage for some extra Sumatran Manedheling beans but if others have a preferred Holy-bean then bring it along.x

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE