New mora help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
Was out the past two days for some wild camping and a mountain walk, however upon reaching the summit I took off my gear to relax and realised that foolishly I had my clipper hooked on my belt the hole way up with the original plastic sheath. So now it's residing in some moss filled bog anywhere between mountain top and a couple of kilometres near where I was camped out.

So now I need a replacement, I noticed the classic "Clipper" is now rebranded as the "Companion," and that they do both a 840MG carbon steel, which I had previously. Also an 860MG stainless version. Has anyone owned both of these to give a view on which one they prefer?

While frustrating it does remind me why I never spend money on super signed by god knifes that don't do anything apart from help reduce the heavy wallet to carry while walking.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I have found that I favour the stainless knives as their main use for me is food preparation.

The new sheaths are more secure than the original Clippers' so it's less likely that you'll have one fall out if inverted.

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
Forgot to add does the stainless version has any adverse effect on the use of firesteels? I always tended to use the back of my old one for making sparks.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
I use the stainless clipper and have done for years - firesteels work well, the blade holds a decent edge - just strop it to keep it sweet and it can be used for food prep and cleaned up easily.

EastSussexScout

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2010
Brighton
I have a few stainless knives and an old clipper in carbon steel and i find i use the clipper more than anything else, purely because i can get a much better edge on it that my stainess knives. I mainly use it for crafts though and rearely ever for food prep. i prefer to take a kitchen knife for food prep which is stainless. depends on what you're going to use it for i guess. if it's woodwork-carbon. if it's food prep-stainless.

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
...While frustrating it does remind me why I never spend money on super signed by god knifes that don't do anything apart from help reduce the heavy wallet to carry while walking.
Of course if you HAD bought a hand made knife from a reputable, hard working knife maker it almost certainly wouldn't have dropped out of it's sheath. And if it had you would have retraced your steps until you had found it, which would have taught you a valuable lesson about the importance of a knife to bushcraft.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
I have both versions of clipper and I keep carbon steel at home most of the time, as it gets rusty too quick. Stainless is great for bushcraft, food prep, fishing, it's more versatile and needs less care but a bit more sharpening. The carbon steel is left in my workshop, dry and sweet, always ready ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE