New Man-pack Shelter (inc phots)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

I saw this on TV just recently - described as the new US ICS - Improved Combat Shelter.

Dimensions and weight detail was missing but it looks like it uses shock corded glass fibre poles.

It was stated that it comes with an integral floor and the that the material is IRR etc.

ICS1.JPG ICS2.JPG ICS3.JPG

In some of the shots it looked like you could sit up in it - in another not quite - low profile would be the priority I assume.

It reminded me of something ? -

ICS1.JPG 12.jpg

But not as good! :lmao: (we need a 'tounge-in-cheek' Icon)

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I think i would rather stick with a standard basha - apart from the benefits of being self supporting (which for a basha can be remedied by the addition of basha poles), that looks just about inferior in every way! Fiddly to put up, lower situational awareness, but crucially, it looks like it render the occupant soaking in anything other than the very lightest rain shower.... Standard rule of thumb to erect a basha and stay dry - keep the edges close to the ground - fail, don't use a groundsheet, and if you do, keep it well away from the edges of the shelter- fail.

You are right - the flectarn shelter looks far better!

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
No way that shelter is military issue.
Looks way to civvi up to and including the camo-pattern. Beach shelter is my guess too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Does that 'rigid' structure not look like it would take off in any wind too ?
I've made kites before, I'd have thought that would fly :D

M

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up All,

Well, it IS a military shelter!

My use of the term 'NEW' however is way off the mark as when I revisited the programme I noticed in the 'date first aired' field - 2003!

Observations failure on my part but as a former recipient of all things Gucci in my job (inc US gear) - I was never gifted one nor ever even heard of it.
What's more, as bit of a mil surplus junkie since 'retirement' I have never come across one anywhere in a store or on the web - anyone else?
Unless they really have been selling as beach tents! :lmao:

The prog did show an inner tent section in some shots but as I was likening it to the simple fly sheet type tarpee I didn't screen grab that.

Re setting one up I would imagine that it is no more difficult than setting up a mil mosi cot and they are a piece of @*%! provided that you PUSH instead of pull the shock corded poles.

Re military bashers - yeah they're OK if all you want to do is hunker right down and if you do that, yes you can exit any side rapido but as for all round obs, unless you're pitched on a billiard table forget it!

(Besides - as far as the infantry are concerned any tactical advantage gained by a low profile basher is usually compromised by the racket that they all make! :lmao:)

I'm sold on the lavvu style now - canvas if I don't have to carry it far and Tarpee if I do - quick set up; three sided wind protection; great rain run-off and I can sit up in it!:)

The only improvement that I can think of is if one could be made from a lightweight (equal to 7oz PU coated canvas - and in fleck!) to add spark resistance.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I have a ICS in ACU - it's a nice little tent, one man with a nice big area to store your gear. You can just use the outer which gives a nice sized shelter for two to sleep under.
Only real down side is the weight of it - it is built extremely well, though (like most US gear)
Phil

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Philster,

When you say heavy do you mean the whole set up or just the outer? - And how heavy? My tarpee set up weighs in around 1.3 kg - but that doesn't include the cente pole as that is a walking pole.

AND - where'd you get it??????

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Aye Up Philster,

When you say heavy do you mean the whole set up or just the outer? - And how heavy? My tarpee set up weighs in around 1.3 kg - but that doesn't include the cente pole as that is a walking pole.

AND - where'd you get it??????

It weighs just over 3KG complete - that's inner, outer fly, lovely ally poles, repair kit and carry bag. Not massively heavy but not lightweight. Built like a tank, is light proof so you can sleep in the day inside and it's still dark as night. Nice and low profile for stealthy camping and just a work of art.
I was lucky enough to get one on Ebay, they do appear occasionally. Good luck finding a woodland camo one, though :)

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
(Besides - as far as the infantry are concerned any tactical advantage gained by a low profile basher is usually compromised by the racket that they all make! :lmao:)

I resent that comment, i'll have you know all infantry units are ram packed full of steely eyed death dealers. Not once have i ever woken up the the sounds of screaming and running about the likes of which would of been seen in a 90's war movie as some mong proceeded to spark a tab in their basha, next to a leaking bottle of petrol stove fuel.

Tonyuk

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

I just love the inter-arm banter lol.

Found some on ebabe - no wonder they rarely come up in surplus - 200 quid a throw!!!!

I didn't realise that they were that big Philster - and at 3kg that's heading for canvas lavvu country :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE