New Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Here's my second knife and the first made with wood. It's curly birch that was provided by Pikebite.

BobKnife723.jpg

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Thank you gents. That's very kind.

The blade is a Brusletto Kystniven which, I understand, means "Coast Knife" and was designed for sailors and people doing their thing by the sea. My brother saw my first knife so commissioned me to make this for a friend of his who is a sailor and fisherman. I did try some yacht varnish on the handle but then wiped it off as it looked a bit bubbly and I was worried it would dry like that. Instead its been soaked in linseed oil with a drop or two of antique pine mixed in, then finished with beeswax.

I used files to shape it though it didn't come out the way I had in mind when I started it. I think the butt end is a bit too long horizontally and too short vertically but it does sit comfortably. It'll do.

Here's a few more pics.

BobKnife721.jpg

Bobknife722.jpg

BobKnifeMaking722.jpg

BobKnifeMaking721.jpg

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Having seen this one in the flesh i can say the pictures dont do it justice. The handle shape also works very well in the hand.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE