New knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I have a few knives that I commissioned from HillBill and they're awesome. And he can make it exactly as you like, too.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
I've got a timberwolf and I love it. Nice big palm swell, super sharp, slight belly on the knife aids cutting. If I wanted to spend the same money now though,I would get something bespoke from of the makers. But each to their own.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... after a nice knife, as way of a little treat!!

Can't fault you for that. :)

I like the look of this

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/the-timberwolf-bushcraft-knife---curly-birch-3664-p.asp

Does anyone know if they are any good or could recommend a maker on here to get something a bit more bespoke.

Even though I'm not the world's biggest fan of the 'Scandy bushy in O1' It looks good to me (particularly the handle, because I have big fat mitts and a lot of handles are just that bit too small for me for comfort). Well anyway at that price it had bloomin' well better look good. :)

If I were going to spend that sort of money I'd certainly consider something bespoke, but some makers can talk about lead times of months or longer which might be a problem for you.

If you're patient and you know more or less what you want I'm sure that you'll be able to get something quite special from a maker here. Whatever you end up with, don't forget to post a review!

jandude

Jan 11, 2013
Cambs
+1 for Hillbill. Embarrassed to say I haven't put up a review of my knife from Hlilbill yet - turns out despite lots of trying, that I'm no good at making videos. Ho hum. Will put up words and pictures instead soon.

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Someone else to throw into the mix is Rob Evans (robeves). A beautiful two tone clone was sold recently for around the same money, he's a great guy to deal with and you could always forget the woodlore style and join some of us on the
"Dark Side" with a beautiful new Bushtool instead;)

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
Yet another different suggestion. I went on a knife making course with Dale Collet of the British Bushcraft School. I'd been on a bushcraft course with him beforehand, he's a great bloke. it's a day long course in Worcestershire. I wanter to make a version of the Bushprowler knife that the bushcraft store make. As the course is £140 it worked out cheaper as well, plus it's "yours". I also got some info on how to make the sheath. I did have to get the scales before as I specifically wanted curly birch. Pictures below (I hope... First time I've tried them)

Finshed article

4ajaza5u.jpg

First blade shape

ajupa6av.jpg

The end of the course before linseed oil.

pyge8adu.jpg

Could be worth a think.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I think for that much money I'd want one made by someone on here.

Lots to choose from, some good recommendations so far, good luck with your course.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Lovely looking thing, doubt it would cut much different to something much cheaper but it's about the pleasure using it as well as the basic effectiveness as a tool that makes the difference.

Fortunately for me, I got to do a lot of product photography for a knife retailer a while back and he didn't want the ones used in the 'great outdoors' shots back. So I ended up with a big Buck, a 4.5" Spyderco folder with G10 scales, couple of little Spydercos, a Finnish thing with the handle made out of zillions of layers of birch-skin and a few other odds and ends. Nothing as nice-looking as that one though.

paul atkin

Forager
Dec 15, 2010
york
paulatkin.co.uk
i did the new knife thing back in January, i left the usual hints to the wife and left the searches on the puter i even stuck a picture in the bog, way hay i got a timberwolf for my 50th birthday ( it worked) Fantastic knife has done everything i have thrown at it very well, yep you can do the same with a far cheaper knife ( Mora/ Condor) but if you fancy a bit of over indulgence go for it you will not be disappointed. Apparently it even got delivered next day, i love everything about this knife, chunky handle ( my hands are large) easy to sharpen, great at starting fires with the supplied fire steel

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
Unless it's a mora clipper John and Nick will rip your knife to shreds in the first week anyway, haha. They excel at finding fault with your tools.
In all seriousness if you're going to teach then you're probably going to give your students moras, so it's probably worth having one yourself so they don't all say "The only reason you can do it is cos of your fancy knife".

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
Got the timber wolf in the end as I needed it ASAP but seeing all the bespoke ones on here I can feel another purchase coming on.

The timber wolf is a great knife I love using it thanks for the input guys

Cheers JB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE