New knife wanted, any recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 27, 2009
SW Wales
I’ve just been told I have another 11 months of work with the park (Pembs. Coast National Park), so I’m going to treat myself to a custom knife after years of buying cheep rubbish. I’ve come across a few sites on the net but to tell you the truth I don’t know eve from adam, could anyone please point me in right direction.

I spoke to the boys from Bison Bushcraft a few years ago at a game fayre and have looked into getting a knife from them but at present they have a 12 month waiting list but I can’t wait that long, out of curiosity what does everyone think of their knives?

Thanks
Gethin

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Bernie Garland...

Cant afford it my self so i made my own but his stuff is stunning and he is a very nice fella to deal with...

No affiliation etc yadda...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hi Gethin - another Pembs Bushcrafter!
Bison knives are pretty darned good from what I have seen - but then there are equally good ones with no waiting lists....
Are you north or south pembs?
I am up the north end...drop me a PM if you fancy a meet up/ bit of canoeing or suchlike.
John

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
Got my beauty from Ben Orford - figured ash scales, 3 mm stock and sheath to my specs.

Have fallen deeply in love with it!

Lovely guy to deal with too.

p1000765ai4.jpg

p1000764fh0.jpg

p1000766vg6.jpg

and looking at the piccies, that doesn't do his work justice at all, so excuse my bad photo skills

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You won't go far wrong

This is mine

2831585156_83f69711dd_o.jpg

2831582426_8f380248c8_o.jpg

2831584726_760b5a860b_o.jpg

Mind you Stu's work isn't exactly shabby

2997088654_71a6becc55.jpg

2997088666_455157a651.jpg

2997149632_f9d9b2e237.jpg

At the end of the day though, a knife is a knife - its lovely to have a craftsman made knife - but better to be highly skilled with a Mora!

Red

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Try looking at the Churi supplied by Kukhuri house. Rod of green-school has done a review. its a great working tool and a very reasonable price (under £40 for a hand made knife!)

In fact there is a shot of one in my sheath posting (blade is greased hence funny image)
Sandsnakes

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
http://www.khukurihouseonline.com/Content/Catalog/Browse/?CID=a1d0c6e83f027327d8461063f4ac58a6|5a42

Take a peek here. I have the Churi, which is a very solid tool, and for the price I can afford to use it as a work tool. Hand made for under £40..!

Sandsnakes

Fluffy

Feb 8, 2009
kent
Dave Budd Mick Spain Chris Claycomb all good stuff.
Here's one of Mick's
yew.jpg

but a number of "Economy " bushcraft knives are emerging on the market just now from UK makers so little in the way of shipping costs outside RMSD. Expect to double the cost of a knife from thekhukurihouse.com for shipping. Britishblades.com (when it's working) makers sales and classifieds is a good starting point

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Stu Mitchell, hands down. He'll work with you on what you want with constant communication, advice and updates. that personal touch goes along way. The craftsmanship speaks for itself.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
Mick Spain does some lovely knives
Bernie Garland also has some interesting designs, but i personally don't get on with the shape of the blade on his bushcrafters, still can't fault them on quality.
Chris Claycomb makes a very good quality knife, i held a few of his at a recent meet and he makes very comfortable handles
Stuart Mitchell is top class too, he's had alot of practice making knives and it shows;)
Shing is also a good bet, he makes some very robust knives definitely for using.
Singleblister has some particularly interesting designs, though i've never personally hald one of his knives
Then there's the likes of Alan Wood, or maybe some overseas makers like J nielson, Brian Goode etc.

Then again, you could go with a hobbiest maker, there are at least 10 on this site that will make you a VERY good knife at a reasonable price.

that probbably wasn'tvery helpful though, i'm sorry to make it more difficult

p.s. look at some of toby crocker's knives too, top notch and great customer service, and Dave Budd makes some great knives, particularly if you're looking for that more bushcrafty aesthetic

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I’ve just been told I have another 11 months of work with the park (Pembs. Coast National Park), so I’m going to treat myself to a custom knife after years of buying cheep rubbish. I’ve come across a few sites on the net but to tell you the truth I don’t know eve from adam, could anyone please point me in right direction.

I spoke to the boys from Bison Bushcraft a few years ago at a game fayre and have looked into getting a knife from them but at present they have a 12 month waiting list but I can’t wait that long, out of curiosity what does everyone think of their knives?

Thanks
Gethin

Well sad to hear you have been buying cheap rubbish. There is plenty cheap but good out there. You have not told us what you want. Is it a bushcrafter you are after? What do you do with it? Carve wood? Skin animals? Gut fish? Fell trees? Prepare food? Make a sandwich? Show people your shiney and tell how much it cost? Treasure your precious and keep it in a drawer for secret admiration? If you eliminate a couple of these options you will get a much better knife for the others. If you want to do all of them then a bushcrafter it is and you have plenty of good advice to go on.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I have to agree with JonathanD, Stuart Mitchell is the man.
I make no secret of the fact that i work for him from time to time and he's a good friend but i have also been a customer and he really does go the extra distance to turn your ideas into reality.
I have commissioned quite a few custom knives over the years from different makers but Stu stands out from the rest because he has the ability to make the exact knife that you have in your head.

DSC00252.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE