New knife purchases from shop in person only?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
Reported today that to combat knife crime the government are suggesting laws similar to air rifles in that any knife bought from a store or online retailer will have to be collected in person and will not be available for delivery to private address and only a retailer for instance.

What's knife crime like in your area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I've just seen on the BBC news that the government are proposing that knives bought online would have to be collected in person due to the rising level of knife crime amongst youths. Shame this may happen and effect all the legitimate users. Certainly worth keeping an eye on any further news on this.

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
As usual a stupid idea by the government. Talk of regulating some chemicals. As usual it's people that harm/kill other people. Proposals like this need looking at from a different perspective. (Nothing political meant in any of that rambling!)

Knife crimes 0 in my area. The only crime we have is speeders. Perhaps we should ban cars!

SRC

Mar 14, 2008
Herts
There's an interesting article in the Guardian. they did a big 'expose' on under 18's buying knives from Amazon. This line from it is obviously referring to flippers and other one handed openers. "It will also include proposals to change the legal definition of flick knives to reflect new designs" There'll be a lot of valuable knives in the 'amnesty' bins

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
someone was stabbed to death outside my university library just the other day. Do I support this innitiative? Absolutely not. Why? Because it will do absolutely nothing. We already have absurdly strict gun laws yet there was a gun used in the same incident, so clearly regulation meant nothing to the criminal.

I just don't understand how they possibly think this will achieve anything. There are already a whole host of regulations in place to stop minors obtaining knives, bb guns etc. What do children do? they ask an older mate to get it for them. People intent on breaking the law will find a way to break the law. As the LB attackers showed, you don't need a zombie knife, you just grab a kitchen knife and go. Not being able to buy one directly online would have achieved nothing, or are they suggesting that all knives will now have unique tamper proof serial numbers stored on a central database for future referal once they find the murder weapon?

Seriously, I don't understand what this would hope to achieve.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

It isn't just the legitimate users that it will affect - think of those on this site who make knives and sell them to us - I certainly wouldn't be traveling the length of the country to collect. And what about online sales of kitchen knives etc.

There is high potential for an economic own goal here no doubt.

And on the subject of knife makers - how long before they can't buy acid for wash/etching etc?

But this isn't the first time that 'stupid' law has been proposed and/or brought into force in the UK - I used to target-shoot pistols!

'Coming soon to a place near you' - an annual license to own a knife for bushcraft -

Class 1. - e.g. None locking folder - £50 per year;
Class 2 - e.g. Mora Companion £100 per year;
Class 3 - e.g. Martindale/Kukhri - £150 per year.

Owners will also have to submit to photo, fingerprint and DNA provision.

A photo ID card will have to be carried at the same time as any knife.

Knives will not be allowed to be carried/used at weekends.

It will be an (arrestable) offence to loan a knife (even momentarily) to an unlicensed third party.

Oh 'eck....... I think that I've just written a part of someone's manifesto for the next general election! :lmao:

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Is it going to stop them going down to the local supermarket and buying or shoplifting some knives?

Probably not but then the ban on legitimate gun owners owning handguns had no effect on illegal guns being used by criminals (no suprise there) it has only risen over the years. However to the masses fuelled by the media it looked good for the government!

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Aye Up,

It isn't just the legitimate users that it will affect - think of those on this site who make knives and sell them to us - I certainly wouldn't be traveling the length of the country to collect. And what about online sales of kitchen knives etc.

Wouldn't it work like it does with air guns, you would have them shipped to a local shop and then collect from there?

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
"Coming soon to a place near you' - an annual license to own a knife for bushcraft -

Class 1. - e.g. None locking folder - £50 per year;
Class 2 - e.g. Mora Companion £100 per year;
Class 3 - e.g. Martindale/Kukhri - £150 per year.

Owners will also have to submit to photo, fingerprint and DNA provision.

A photo ID card will have to be carried at the same time as any knife.

Knives will not be allowed to be carried/used at weekends.

It will be an (arrestable) offence to loan a knife (even momentarily) to an unlicensed third party.

Oh 'eck....... I think that I've just written a part of someone's manifesto for the next general election!"
:lmao:

You may well laugh but history has shown no less questionable legislation has come to pass.

Hopefully the Home Office will allow the discretion of any newly named and empowered "Firearms & Sharps Licensing Officer" to include an "Open" condition on your Firearms & Sharps Certificate to permit both open carry and deployment on land where you have "prior permission" to use such. Special conditions will no doubt apply to blades over 8" and/or of questionable esthetic.

K

Last edited:

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
In Belgium they started linking ID's to SIM-cards as a means of 'dealing a blow to organized crime'. 'Now we know who the one's are buying drugs!'
'No ****, people with more than 40 phone numbers are starting to show up on the screen... that's strange...'

Politicians... could rant about them and their decisions whooooole days.

Jul 18, 2017
Scotland
Here's a thought fine the companies that don't check age and fine the hell out of the parents that don't keep their ordering details secured. At the end of the day if a kid wants a knife they will go into the kitchen

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Sounds like bs media hype.

Do people really believe scummy kids who want to stab people specifically shop for a knfie to do the deed with? LOL! We know they just go in mummys kitchen drawer and grab something that won't be missed.

Yeah we've seen the police masterfully collect 'weapons' off the streets and some are cheap tat survvial knife type things but 90% are kitchen knives, stanleys or screwdrivers.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
If the legislation comes to pass will it put companies like Heinnie out of business? I can see a massive reduction of choice for all us law abiding knife users.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
What absolute idiocy!
I give up on new government ideas of effective legislation - if they had the resources to enforce the current laws it would be one thing but making new ones that hinder law abiding folk but do nothing against criminals is just plain daft!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE