New knife made using a Tacol stick tang blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Evening All,

Here is a new knife I am working on at the moment.

knife600.jpg

It's a Tacol blade, stick tang. I have used a piece of buffalo horn and a nice piece of olive wood with grain to compliment the blade.

I was going to sell this one but it's so comfortable in the hand that I think it's a keeper!

I am currently still working my way through the grades sanding the handle but my question is: What is best for polishing this? The olive wood seems to take quite a shine but if I use Danish oil, will that work on/spoil the horn?

Cheers,
Steve

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Looking good so far.
Danish oil will not harm the Buffalo horn but I would wipe it off when wet to to it becominb sticky. To polish the buffalo horn use metal/perspex polish if you want it to shine. Autosol ot Tcut will work for example if you have them test a piece to if you are unsure. If you have a polising wheel a fine polishing paste will work nicely with minimum effort.

Put some tape on the wood to so it doesnt get dirty during polishing or if it does get dirty wipe some Danish oil on it and buff it up.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Thanks Alf,

That's good advice. I should pobably get a clean mop that has not been used on metal.

Cheers,
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE