New knife for Woodlore ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Just noticed that Woodlore have replaced the Frosts Mora with the Frosts Clipper, anyone know why ?

"New Style Training Knife.
This is an excellent knife to use whilst learning basic Bushcraft techniques, being sturdy enough to withstand harsh treatment.
It has a high carbon steel blade, which sharpens to a fine edge and is half tang with a directly moulded handle.
Woodlore student's attending Fundamental Bushcraft courses will be issued with this knife.
This knife has a high-friction grip rubber handle.Please note that this product replaces the Mora Training Knife."

I use a Clipper every day and like it a lot , the handle and sheath are IMO better than the Mora but i think the Mora blade is better suited to bushcraft.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Im just working on the egay advertisement for my old Mora.

"Ray Mears, Woodlore Training knife - no longer available - buy it now £400"

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Didn't the switch happen ages ago? I got my Clipper from there a fair few months ago and seem to recall that notice.

Haven't tried a normal Mora so can't really comment on whether the clipper is better or not. But mine is certainly getting (ab)used lots!

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
Perhaps Ray realises that the market is saturated and he has swapped over to sell something else!! Seems to be having the desired effect!!! :rolleyes:

Paul K

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
In the woods
The change was made last year. Juha told me that the material used for the handles appeared to have changed. Compared to the old knives it was more brittle than it used to be (possibly due to environmental issues with the make-up of the plastic). I think there had been some cases of the handles cracking under heavy use. The rubberised handled knife was then tested and found to be harder to break. Hence the swap.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
that's sneaky.
my first thought was ooohhh, that's a cheap woodlore.
then i read a little closer.
someone is going to make a huge profit on this one.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
RB,

I saw that one too and only realised when I read thew description and looked at the other pictures that something wasn't quite right. :rolleyes:

Brian

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
rapidboy said:
I use a Clipper every day and like it a lot , the handle and sheath are IMO better than the Mora but i think the Mora blade is better suited to bushcraft.

What's the difference in the blade between the Clipper and the 760 ?

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Its an individual thing but I prefer the "training knife" to the clipper. I don't like the grippiness of the clipper. I think the sheath of the training knife is handier too - the training knife goes in its sheath "left" or "right" wheras the clipper only fits one way.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I see the guy in Rapidboys link is no longer a registered e-bay user. No surprise there, i think the guy who paid £82 (plus Postage) for a Mora must feel pretty choked if he see's any more 'Ray Mears Mora' knives on e-bay for £7.00.

I dont think i could show my face if i made a sale like that, couldnt look at myself in the mirror! :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE