New kit confusion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daffy

Sep 2, 2015
I am from the earth
Hi all,

I've been saving my pennies and its time to splash out on some new kit!:D

I've done a lot of researching over the past few months however some areas are still a bit unclear and since I'm buying most of it online I would really appreciate any advice regarding some items you may own or have experience with. Also, as they are quite common items for people with our interests hopefully this will also help others in future.

1.) Lowa Patrol Boots - I have the Lowa Combat GTX Boots, is it safe to presume I should just order the same size?

2.) Fjallraven Trousers - There are so many different types and I've read conflicting experiences regarding the fit V manufacturers description.

3.) Socks - Need good wool socks, any recommendations?

Many thanks in advance!:)

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Lowa Patrol Boots - I have the Lowa Combat GTX Boots, is it safe to presume I should just order the same size?

I'd still try on boots, if at all possible - just becuase they are from the same make, doesn't mean they will fit exactly the same. Cotswolds seem to be doing Lowa boots now, so you could order them in and try them on.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Daffy,
any boots you buy, make sure you've tried them on properly and had a good walk around the shop, different shape lasts can mean one manufacture fits like a glove and another, in the same size, really uncomfortable. even boots from the same manufactuer can vary.
Fjallraven trousers; you're right, they have a bewildering selection. it all depends on what you use them for, how many pockets you want/need, how high you like to wear them and, at the end of the day, what you want to look like when you're in them. i generally wear (actually, always wear) either the Barrents or Vidda pros. a huge number of pockets, a high cut, options for knee pads.i live in mine when i'm not working and love them. they did have some quality issues a few years ago but i've never had any problems.
Socks wise, either wool power, thorlo or urburg. All have high merino content with various stretch . i have all 3 sorts and don't really have a favourite.

bearbait

I'd still try on boots, if at all possible - just becuase they are from the same make, doesn't mean they will fit exactly the same. Cotswolds seem to be doing Lowa boots now, so you could order them in and try them on.

I've found Cotswold pretty good with helping me size boots. They've got an uppy-downy slopey walky thing to try the boots out on in my nearest store. Wear, or take, the sox you usually wear in boots into the store with you.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Dont fall into the fashion trap.you can get two pairs of 5.1 trousers for the price of one fjallraven.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
To be fair, its not all about fashion. i have a pair of 5.11 trousers and they look like clown pants on me. for some reason, i find the fjallraven stuff fits me very well. yup, it isn't cheap but then nor are Harkila, Seeland, Lundhags to name a few.
i do have a pair of Swedteam moleskins and they fit nicely too but, again, not cheap. Maybe i just have a butt with expensive tastes :rolleyes:!

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
heehee! fair enough! just to answer the OPs question, i try to give a totally bias answer as i'm a big FR fan. but, like every thing i can see why they are confused as to what kit to get. there is such a vast array out there, some good some bad. some cheap and some very pricey. At the end of the day, it comes down to what each individual feels is important and what suits them.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Some fjallraven trousers come in a raw length,which means you have to cut and sow up the leg to suit you.I own a pair of Barrents that I love,fortunately I was able to pop around my mums to get the turn ups sorted.Not sure if this is with all fjallraven trousers or just them ones.

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
Dont fall into the fashion trap.you can get two pairs of 5.1 trousers for the price of one fjallraven.

I have a few pairs of 5.11 stryke, very comfy, well made ans the elasticated waist setup is great. I've recently bought a pair of barents pros, wow they are fantastic and don't get loads of pulls from brambles like the 5.11s.

daffy

Sep 2, 2015
I am from the earth
Thanks everyone what a load of great advice regarding the boots.

Im with baggins and sunndog though on the trousers. I don't mind paying the extra for the comfort and fit, being skinny, it doesn't take much for me to look like I'm wearing clown trousers!

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
I got FR Keb and Lundhags Authentic and I am not that impressed with the strechy parts...Next pair will will be FR Vidda Pro. For pure outdoors use I would go for M90 BDU pants.

Greger

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
In regards to the boots always try on if you can. There is a size difference between goretex lined and non-goretex lined lowa boots, they have a good bit more volume at the instep and ankle. If on your combats you have to lace up reasonably tight to achieve a good fit the patrols may well be too big for you.

Tonyuk

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
I have no experience with numbers 1 or 2. But, of the many different brands of socks that I've tried over the years, Darn Tough are my favorite. They have a variety of different style socks for your needs, and offer an impressive guarantee of their product.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
For socks I can highly recommend Darn tough socks. They have a life time guarantee, are lovely and warm, and have lasted longer than any other socks I've owned.

J

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hard for me to imagine buying pants (trousers) that are even more expensive than 5.11s. They ain't cheap. I do like surplus, or Wranglers (genes or Wrangler hunting pants) or Dickies genes.

Wool socks? hard to beat issue surplus.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE