New Kelly Kettle Trekker Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
Hi all,

Just come across this - https://www.kellykettle.com/kelly-kettle-kits/stainless-steel/trekker-kit

Mine are:
Pros:
Small, easier to pack and should boil quicker than larger models
Comprehensive accessories
Uses natural fuel (big plus over a tommy cooker)
Grill can also serve as a stand to prevent scorched grass (nice touch that)
Includes whistle captive on a chain
Stainless steel
Pot seems to have a silicon lip to prevent burnt lips
Looks bombproof
Company has a very good reputation

Cons:
Expensive
It only holds 0.6 litre of water
Don’t see how it could heat pouch ready meals, (I have enough trouble getting pouches to fit inside a standard rectangular mess tin let alone a 0.45 litre pot)
Heavy at 1.2Kg

Heinnie Haynes have them on sale for 5p less - https://heinnie.com/kelly-kettle-trekker-kit-stainless-steel/

I would see it as being useful addition to day kit for a quick brew but not that useful for overnight trips; I do like ready meals in a pouch at the end of the day. Not sure I would replace my tommy cooker for quick brews on a day trip, perhaps I’m missing something.

Anyone got other thoughts on this item?

I have no connection with either company other than as a customer.

All the best,
Malcolmc

Reactions: bruno73

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
There was a lighter version produced some years ago. I had a loan of one. It boiled water only and was great for brews and water for dehydrated meals or ‘pot cosy’ meals. I’ve never eaten a pouched meal so that function wouldn’t bother me. This Kelly kettle is a bit heavy but the price is not bad if someone wants a entry level wood burning solo set up. Only negative is that much of the country has been on high fire alert so any wood burning stove is going to be unpopular during summer months.

Edit M kettle https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/bushcraft/RD102.html

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
They're really only good for boiling water everything else is a significant compromise. I keep a small aluminium one in the car. I'm sure there's lovers and haters as with most things.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
I love them … but won’t have one. They are a quaint idea and putting sticks on a real fire is so cool. But … they take ages to boil, don’t pack small and stink afterwards.

I’ll stick with my jetboil thanks.

Reactions: Van-Wild and Nice65

bruno73

Banned
May 5, 2021
thurso
Hi all,

Just come across this - https://www.kellykettle.com/kelly-kettle-kits/stainless-steel/trekker-kit

Mine are:
Pros:
Small, easier to pack and should boil quicker than larger models
Comprehensive accessories
Uses natural fuel (big plus over a tommy cooker)
Grill can also serve as a stand to prevent scorched grass (nice touch that)
Includes whistle captive on a chain
Stainless steel
Pot seems to have a silicon lip to prevent burnt lips
Looks bombproof
Company has a very good reputation

Cons:
Expensive
It only holds 0.6 litre of water
Don’t see how it could heat pouch ready meals, (I have enough trouble getting pouches to fit inside a standard rectangular mess tin let alone a 0.45 litre pot)
Heavy at 1.2Kg

Heinnie Haynes have them on sale for 5p less - https://heinnie.com/kelly-kettle-trekker-kit-stainless-steel/

I would see it as being useful addition to day kit for a quick brew but not that useful for overnight trips; I do like ready meals in a pouch at the end of the day. Not sure I would replace my tommy cooker for quick brews on a day trip, perhaps I’m missing something.

All the best,
Malcolmc
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out

Yam69

Jul 10, 2013
United Kingdom
They certainly don`t take ages to boil. They are as quick as any stove. Granted they are not ultra light or very small but if you have the space they are a great bit of kit. They can get smokey if your wood/pine cones are a bit damp !
Got the small one and the medium one and have used them all over the country.
Love em

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have one and I love it. I have the pan and grill plus stand. It boils very quickly on a handful of twigs, and I don't use pine much as that does leave a lot of residue.
The stand gives a good bit of ground clearance I like to find a bit of gravel or a flat rock for added safety.
Take the kettle off and put the grill on top and you could easily sit a pan and cook up a pouch of food. I've made bannock on mine, and fried up some bacon and mushrooms to eat with the bannock too.
It's perfectly possible.

Last edited:

Ira

Sep 15, 2021
Kensington
Just bought the Trekker kit but haven't had time to really test it yet, boiled the kettle and it is very quick to boil once you have a fire going, I was very impressed, also the remaining water stays hot in the kettle for a lot longer than a conventional pot heated over a gas stove.
The little pot and lid that could be used as a frying pan are actually tiny, too small for any use that I could think of so they are probably redundant, as is the little folding grill.
The cup with the silicone lip, I think I prefer my larger enamel mug.

With hindsight I wouldn't have bought the kit but should have gone for the kettle with the hobo stove attachment and the kettle top pan holder thing, that would have saved me a few pennies but overall I like it a lot and am really looking forward to using it more.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That's such a cool traditional construction like the Trangia storm cooker, that I also understand very well, nearly like, but never would buy. Or even carry around if it was gifted to me.

May be it's just me. But I am able to cook water in a usual pot.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK

Neither do I but I am totally committed to my little KK Trekker.

I took both my kettles, little Trekker and big Base Camp (don’t have a middle sized Scout) to the Classic Camp Stoves gathering at Newark a couple of months back.
Everyone knew about the kettle and the chimney pot support but no one had seen the Hobo before. It weighs nothing, it packs into nothing and it turns the fire base into a full fledged cooker that can take a full sized saucepan or a skillet.

One typical quarter log of dry wood will cook me two meals including coffee (of course)

Sorry folks I won’t hear a word said against this tool, I’ve been using mine for a very long time and I’m sure it will see me out. I’ve never paid for fuel. That’s not an expensive item, it’s an investment that pays back forever.

I do not like anything with moving parts when I’m out there.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK

This says a lot - but not all!
I totally agree with this guy and I don’t think he’s connected with the company.

There is a better approach to the pot that takes up very little more room but that’s a new thread in its own right.

His kettle is also new. If you have a new KK then take all the photos of it bright and shiny that you think you’ll want. You might want to take some of your first fire up too.

It will get darker and there shall be soot. I just wipe with a folded tussock of grass. If nothing comes off on my fingers then it can stay there.

Have I said - I do love this kit :)

Reactions: Ira

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE