NEW...improved Nessmuk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
im assuming the lanyard was whipped round the end and was leather thong the antler end would hold it on and should be shrunk enough to stop it slipping. Blade thickness impossible to know but obviously thinner than bowie knives of that time. size is difficult to scaled to 10" you get a 4 1/2" handle and a 5 5/8" blade.
The picture definatly shows an odd grind line
Atb duncan
Ddd

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
im assuming the lanyard was whipped round the end and was leather thong the antler end would hold it on and should be shrunk enough to stop it slipping. Blade thickness impossible to know but obviously thinner than bowie knives of that time. size is difficult to scaled to 10" you get a 4 1/2" handle and a 5 5/8" blade.
The picture definatly shows an odd grind line
Atb duncan
Ddd

I suppose, in doubt, it's best to try the simpler solution first, before going for the complicated one!

Assuming its notr just the way the wood cut was drawn, what would you say the angle would start as near the handle? That would make it quite blunt, wouldn't it?

well in 3mm thickness at the handle with a 3mm GH you get 53 deg and at the tip with a 9mm GH you get 19deg

in 4mm thickness you get 67 deg and 25deg

lots of knives use a variable grind angle for differnt jobs along the blade tho they are normally bigger than this.

ive cutout a card board blank at the 10" OA size the handle does feel a little short with risk of easily running your finger onto th blade so a razor edge maybe isnt a good idea :eek: maybe it was a bigger knife OA i might scale it up i have a bit of 60mm x 3mm its only 50mm wide currently this would give a bigger handle and keep the proportions the same
the curves on the blade and general shape feel nice tho

could just be artistic licence
or maybe the sharpening method has rolled the grind at the tip.

Nessy-1.jpg

hopefully thats a full scale image dunno if the uploader has changed it

ATB

Duncan

scaled up to fit the 60mm steel i have its a 12" OA length guess thats still small for USA but its supposed to be an eating knife too :eek:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
I remember reading somewhere that Nessmuk was a frail, slight man. I think if it's the case, he would not have wanted anything too big and heavy. Maybe he had small hands too? Hard to tell really! But interesting nevetheless.. Better go back to work!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Well, here is the finished Nessie and the leather hunting bag. I am very pleased with the result.

DSCN0900.jpg

DSCN0901.jpg

The sheath is removable from the back of the bag and can be used independently. I have "aged" it a bit, nothing too drastic but I think it looks better like that!

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Very nice work Joel.
well in 3mm thickness at the handle with a 3mm GH you get 53 deg and at the tip with a 9mm GH you get 19deg

in 4mm thickness you get 67 deg and 25deg

lots of knives use a variable grind angle for differnt jobs along the blade tho they are normally bigger than this.

ive cutout a card board blank at the 10" OA size the handle does feel a little short with risk of easily running your finger onto th blade so a razor edge maybe isnt a good idea :eek: maybe it was a bigger knife OA i might scale it up i have a bit of 60mm x 3mm its only 50mm wide currently this would give a bigger handle and keep the proportions the same
the curves on the blade and general shape feel nice tho

could just be artistic licence
or maybe the sharpening method has rolled the grind at the tip.

Nessy-1.jpg

hopefully thats a full scale image dunno if the uploader has changed it

ATB

Duncan

scaled up to fit the 60mm steel i have its a 12" OA length guess thats still small for USA but its supposed to be an eating knife too :eek:

Regarding the original Nessie. It's pretty unlikely to be scandi grind. The American knife industry was largely inspired by the English tradition and imported British knives were still common, and often seen as superior to domestic knives. You don't see British or American knives with scandi grinds prior to Ray Mears and the "bushcraft" movement. I think if it was scandi it would have been so uncommon as to have warranted mention in the text of the book. It is, IMO, most likely to have been flat ground.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Great isn't ?

I do like the buckle and strap arrangement Joel -looks even better than I had in mind - I hadn't thought of the bottom strap - nice arrangement

Really looking forward to this now :) I reckon thats a stunning arrangement and very reminiscent of Nessmuks drawing of the bag / knife combo

The buckles are just right too - I'll feel happier with them holding everything in place when I dump the bag on the ground!

Red

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
I'll feel happier with them holding everything in place when I dump the bag on the ground!
:yikes: ...and scratch it :rolleyes: tuttut...

I agree with you Luke. His knife probably did not have a scandi grind. None of the pics of knives I have seen were like that. He probably would have used something he had easily available. But then again... his ideas did not seem to fit the ways of the time, with all that light weight stuff he promoted! I guess we'll never know for sure.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Well, here is the finished Nessie and the leather hunting bag. I am very pleased with the result......The sheath is removable from the back of the bag and can be used independently. I have "aged" it a bit, nothing too drastic but I think it looks better like that!

That looks fantastic!

I am both jealous and inspired to have a go myself, however I'd be curious to know if you find the knife sheath setup uncomfortable against your side if you are wearing the bag for longer period? Nessmuk's own ditty bag had the sheath "strongly sewed on the back side of it" which might be more comfortable, but I do like the idea of having a removable sheath. :)

:yikes: ...and scratch it :rolleyes: tuttut...

I agree with you Luke. His knife probably did not have a scandi grind. None of the pics of knives I have seen were like that. He probably would have used something he had easily available. But then again... his ideas did not seem to fit the ways of the time, with all that light weight stuff he promoted! I guess we'll never know for sure.

yes i agree Scandi is not likley but the im following the line i think i can see on the picture.
i would assume it might be a convex and was sharpened with a steel or round sythe stone like a farm tool which would possibley give the convex and bias the sharpening to the front end i think a full flat grind unlikely on 3mm (again we are guessing here but its said to be thinner than normal) wouldnt leave a very durable blade at all.
and actually having one in steel and using it so far has been interesting experiment its actually very versatile etc :D tho im not filing up another one its a real pain to do :eek:

ATB

Duncan

Big Mark

Banned
Oct 9, 2007
London
There... Can't take the nagging any more....:D

DSCN0780.jpg

DSCN0781.jpg

DSCN0783.jpg

4 3/4" blade 01 tools steel. 10" long overall. Blade is etched with ferric acid, I had to epoxy it into the handle so mixed so crushed Oak charcoal into it to make it look more "traditional", single brass pin riveted in place, probably not needed but looks nice anyway!

Sheath: not yet made!!
WoWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
hmmmm.... lanyard could have been a hole and pin type thing, simply a hole (or two) is drilled down into the grip material and another through the side, a brass pin hammered through and rounded off... one "hidden" lanyard loop...

Just an idea...

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
OMG! Amazing!!!!!!!! I love it...don't spose you fancy making a second...?!

Well, I have..:D

DSCN0904.jpg

DSCN0905.jpg

This is the first blade I have ever forged, about a year ago now :rolleyes: and only recently handled. Not going to sell this one though. But I might easily be tempted to make another Nessmuk, (not exactly the same as I prefer to make them uniquely individual...;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE