New home for my Sloyd carver

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
After receiving a new Frosts 106 sloyd carving knife from Robin Wood, during our recent spoon carving course, I decided it needed a more secure sheath, than the plastic one it comes with.
I simply scaled down the one I make for clippers and came up with this:
PA080011copyresized2.jpg

I drew the pattern with a scratch awl, after damping the leather a bit, then after drying overnight, set to with new dyes I bought the other day!
PA080012copyresized1.jpg

unfortunately, the piece of hide used, has a scar, probably from a barbed wire wound or similar,
PA080001copyresized4.jpg

It took a while painting the design with a small brush but I'm happy enough with the result.
thanks for looking
R.B.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
You have really brought that sheath to life, given it a wonderful dancing spirit and a fiery existence. A knife stored in there cannot help but make magic.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thanks everyone,
I wasn't as neat as I might have been with the brush work, but it was really just another "experiment"
You have to be really careful working dye with a brush, it's so easy to flick spots all over the place by accident!:eek:
the colours were:
yellow,ox blood and British tan spirit dyes and a new one for me; saddle tan and good old black, in oil dye.
I'm getting to like the "professional" oil dyes, they seem to have a slightly higher density, requiring fewer coats and giving a good shade.
I actually gave it a coat of dark tan kiwi over all, just to give a bit of water proofing, at the same time time just adding a little something to the colouring.
best wishes
R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE