New Hearth-board, Made Using New Machete

I grabbed a small Poplar log the last time I was up on the mountain as I intended to experiment with it. Then I waited on a new tool I had coming to start the experiment. The Fiddleback machete came today so this evening I took a break and went outside to start the experiments.

Ok...I first want to say somethings. This is not an actual review of the machete because I've only had it for a few hours, but there are some things I want to say about it. Now, historically I have not really been a machete person...at least not since I moved north of the semi-tropics of southern Florida. I tend to have little need for a traditional machete here outside of yard work. I find the longer models cumbersome and annoying in the field, and I had...until today...not found a shorter one I liked. I have never liked the "blocky", uncomfortable plastic handles, didn't like the deep sweeps with no usable point nor the up-swept blades of ones with points for my particular uses, and I have never really liked the blade/handle relationships.

I love this machete. I love the size, I love the blade shape and weight distribution, and I love the handle ergonomics and the angle of the handle/blade relationship. So far I think it is just awesome.

I guess it only stands to reason the machete I would really like would come from a custom maker whose blade shapes I find very appealing. What is funny is that this machete I love so much isn't even up to Andy's standards and is one he considers a screw-up as he got off a bit on the grind. Which is completely understandable as it is a new endeavor for him and so naturally there must be a learning curve to working with blades this long.

This is the most comfortable machete I have ever held, and the ergos are also perfect for a rearward grip for more power, which got used a bit today chopping some seasoned Poplar.

DSC_2289.jpg

DSC_2291.jpg

DSC_2292.jpg

This is the limb I chopped and split to make the hearth-board. I first chopped it into three sections, the third section just because I was enjoying using the knife.

DSC_2295.jpg

DSC_2297.jpg

DSC_2298.jpg

In this shot you can see the old notches where I checked the disposition of the wood the day I picked it up, the fresh cuts are much lighter.

DSC_2303.jpg

DSC_2305.jpg

DSC_2306.jpg

DSC_2308.jpg

Then I split one using a baton to get the plank I wanted.

DSC_2309.jpg

DSC_2312.jpg

DSC_2313.jpg

You can see the blade flexing in this shot.

DSC_2315.jpg

But no ill effects on the blade, and i got the plank I wanted

DSC_2317.jpg

DSC_2325.jpg

I liked this picture...I just made a new bearing block and firesteel handle out of deer antler yesterday while I was hanging out over at a friends house...actually since it was his shop and his tools it was sort of a team effort as John did most of the work.

DSC_2320.jpg

DSC_2327.jpg

I burned in the spindle using an older Cedar spindle and then laid out the notch. I used the tip of the machete to bore a small dent for the spindle to start in, then I used the saw of my SAK to cut the notch and the machete to clean it up. Then whittled a little more on the spindle tip before going for a coal.

DSC_2326.jpg

DSC_2329.jpg

DSC_2333.jpg

DSC_2335.jpg

DSC_2337.jpg

DSC_2340.jpg

DSC_2342.jpg

DSC_2365.jpg

DSC_2348.jpg

DSC_2353.jpg

DSC_2368.jpg

While I got good smoke, and some nice black dust...it soon became apparent that getting a coal using the Cedar spindle was going to be more work than I had time for, had light enough for photos of, and more than I had the desire to do this evening.

DSC_2376.jpg

The antler divot worked very well though, it is now black and more glossy inside. Tomorrow I'll either whittle a Poplar spindle or go get a couple of smaller poplar limbs and try again. It was still a fun experiment :)

DSC_2377.jpg

Sanji

Forager
Oct 20, 2006
Oban, Scotland
looking good, Nice job !! I personally need to attempt making fire via bow drill method, just need to find the best wood for the kit..

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
That machette is a looker, nice shape to it. Howlong do you recon your bearing block will? does it even wear in use? just thinking about combining bearing block and a ferro rod.

looking good, Nice job !! I personally need to attempt making fire via bow drill method, just need to find the best wood for the kit..

Thanks you...there are several woods that work well.

Nice one, looked fun to do that!

Drew

Thanks Drew, it was fun!

That machette is a looker, nice shape to it. Howlong do you recon your bearing block will? does it even wear in use? just thinking about combining bearing block and a ferro rod.

Thanks, I think so too, and it feels great as well.

I'm not sure yet, I'll know more after a few more coals...or attempts anyway :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE