new hat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
To make it fit - wear it contantly so it gets battered into the shape of your head.
To care for it - let wind, rain and leafmould get at the outside and grease from your honest sweat/hair/hands work its way into the leather.
Do not store it in a centraly heated house for more than 12 hours at a time.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There are all sorts of fancy leather care products out there - but I think natural products are best, beeswax, real turpentine and a few secret ingredients

Wayland

Hárbarðr
To make it fit - wear it contantly so it gets battered into the shape of your head.
To care for it - let wind, rain and leafmould get at the outside and grease from your honest sweat/hair/hands work its way into the leather.
Do not store it in a centraly heated house for more than 12 hours at a time.

Sounds about right to me.

I've never done anything to my hat in 25 years apart from wearing it.

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I got a Barmah leatehr hat last year, and at first, evne though I ordered the size for my head it was a bit tight... Now one year on it fit very nicely, is very comfortable.
Other than wear it which I do every day... I have given it a quick wipe over with G Wax from time to time...
Cheers
Gareth

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi there
I got a Barmah leatehr hat last year, and at first, evne though I ordered the size for my head it was a bit tight... Now one year on it fit very nicely, is very comfortable.
Other than wear it which I do every day... I have given it a quick wipe over with G Wax from time to time...
Cheers
Gareth

Which changed Gareth, the hat or your head. LOL.

Cheers, Colin.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Yep wear it & wax it from time to time. If it gets wet, let it dry in a cool airy place, never, ever dry it next to a heat source nor leave it in a car in full sun in summer.
Be good to know what brand it is ' cause there are leather hats & leather hats.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Get it wet then stick it on your head to dry out and you will find it takes on your head shape and size. I had an Aussie leather bush hat up till April this year when it went missing, I had five years in that hat in all weathers, battered it was but it fitted perfectly, now I need a new one, but I am seriously miffed my old one went missing. I think I know where it went but the person concerned denies it.

I used to give it a polish with shoe polish when it was I was polishing my boots, just normal Kiwi polish, it never let the rain in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE