New handles for crook knives.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I've had these 2 Dave Budd crook knife blades kicking around for a while.

So, with the heavy rain confining me indoors I thought I'd have a play day in the workshop:)

Spalted beech and a nice bit apple for the handles. Polished the blades as best I can, sorry the photos are not the best.

056 (600x355).jpg

057 (600x299).jpg

I've not used the kinked handled one in anger but I liked the design (from www/not my own).

I know they're a bit heavy in places around the blade but I've had a couple break out before so I'll try it like this to see.

All the best.

Brian

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
nice looking bits of wood there :)

Just a word of advice concerning the cranked handle though. That style of handle is designed for larger more robust crooked knives like the motogan jobbies, it offer you a lot of power to the cut. The blade you have there is a spoon carving blade and so is a bit more delicate. If you snap the blade by applying too much force with that shaped handle then consider yourself warned ;)

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
nice looking bits of wood there :)

Just a word of advice concerning the cranked handle though. That style of handle is designed for larger more robust crooked knives like the motogan jobbies, it offer you a lot of power to the cut. The blade you have there is a spoon carving blade and so is a bit more delicate. If you snap the blade by applying too much force with that shaped handle then consider yourself warned ;)

No warranty? :pokenest: Just kidding:)

Nice job on the handles!

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Cheers Dave. I did begin to think that when I got it all finished. The blade on the cranked handle is longer and I was wondering about the amount of force it would take.

Might just have to use it as a normal crook knife.:(

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
They, look nice, Nice wood there..

But myslef would not of done the crank.. Just my personal choice..

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
That crank is begining to haunt me! It might come off and get modified. The blade is too thin I think for the force the handle produces. Seems to flex a little when cutting with power..

It would be fine in the modded (normal) handle for spoons though :eek:

Mi

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've actually redesigned my spoon hooks this year to make them stiffer and stronger ;)

That will have been one of the last of the old style I reckon. Still, they work well as long as you remember it is for carving spoons and not ruddy great bowls! Also, the open sweep was only ever intended to clean the furrowed surface left by the smaller hook, not to carve out a to of material itself.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Now realising that Dave.

I'm going to have a go at a larger bowl once I find a nice burr.

I've got my chainsaw ready with a carving blade for roughing out:eek: and I can use my knives after that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE