New Hammock Stand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
hmmm, I wonder instead of a crossbar you could use a rope on or near the floor. If the main beams are angled away from the hammock and pivot in such a way they pull a rope tied between the base of each pole tight.....

I see where you are going with this mountainm. Got to be worth a try I think.

Cheers

George

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
i see cool and are you bringing it to the moot george cos i could do with a look at this one in the flesh so to speek

also what nots have you used and what is the metal you have used to make both the tripods cos from here it looks like a gate hinge but i could be wrong

also what lenth is your ridge pole because dependent on that is the size of your tarp

and thanks for your help so far george

Hi Drew

Should be able to bring it to the Moot.

The tripods are held together by door hinges and bolts. Cheap and works a treat.

The crossbar hangs on an adjustable loop of Amsteel (I used a Triple Fishermans). The loop sits in a groove in the wood so it does not slip off. The Amsteel is attached to the tripod with a few wraps and an Evenk to finish.

I put a couple of more grooves around the pole ends so that I could whip some Amsteel onto each end and it would bite in. This whipping holds the hammock ends and has a Marlin hitch/spike at each end to attach a hammock.

Dimensions I will get this weekend.

Cheers

George

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
this is my version, bit simpler but needs good ground anchors
hammock.jpg

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Nice design Paul.

How big/deep are the anchors?

My problem was never having two decent ones and had to use lots of smaller ones hence playing around with a design not needing them.

Cheers

George

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
That's the kind of thing I was planning, although I only need one end as I have a suitable tree for the other! I think I can anchor the guyline to a fence post and it will be strong enough - certainly worth a try. Just need to get a couple of bits of suitable wood

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
What dimensions have you used for the pole and tripods?
Alan

The tripod's I made were from 'Sawn Treated Softwood'. I bought a pack of 8 x 1.8m length pieces (47mm x 22mm). Cost less than £10. I cut mine to 1m 70cm so as to fit easily in my van.

The crossbar was made from two Tree Stakes from a local Garden Centre. I bought 2. Each was 1.8m x 40mm. I cut each one to 1m 74cm to get rid of the pointed ends and then put 3 grooves all the way round the stakes (near the pointed end) to take the Dynema loop and whipping (stops slippage). Each stake cost about £3.50.

I connected the rods with an old army aluminium tent pole. I cut the ends of the pole and it easily slips over the tree stakes. Cost on e-bay about £6.

To connect the tripods I used a 'T' Hinge. It is about 45cm in length and each one cost about £2.50.

Various nuts, bolts and washers to fit (at least 4 cm in length). About £3.

Amsteel/Dynema rope - About 4 or 5 metres required (approx. £5.)

I made the tarp caps out of some old Hessian sacking (used the corners) and covered in Duck tape.

Approx cost if buying all the parts = £36

I am looking to replace the crossbar with a Galvanised Fencing top rail. You can get sleeve connectors and so cut it into 2 or 3 parts and use Rail End cups to connect to the hammock. Examples here (1st and 3rd items) http://www.discountfence.com/chainlink2/fittings5.htm

Any ideas where to get these in the UK would be appreciated. Recycled pieces would be preffered.

I am getting most of my ideas from the Hammock Forumns website at http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27777&highlight=crossbar

I know these do not look simple but they are when you get down to it.

I now have a hammock stand that:

1. does not need land anchors
2. is very easy to set up
3. is designed to take a tarp
4. can be set up on very rocky ground
5. is easily transportable by vehicle
6. and is ideal for when you have only one tree available.

My wife is extremely happy as she no longer trips over guy lines and can set it up herself in the garden.

Cheers

George

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Brill idea shared from another thread. I like the pack away storage idea for the garden as I have no trees and the downward pressure so no ground anchor bit appeals too. Size of struts and top pole = weight limit so us FB's can just use stronger poles ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE