new hammock,new hammocker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

litefoot

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
northamptonshire
just took delivery of a dd travel hammock and was looking for a few pointers as to how to tie it up.it appears to have 2 lengths of green cord at either end,what is the most efficient way of getting the thing off the ground without doing myself any permanant damage while using it. :rolleyes:
hope you can help andy.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Bring the tie once around the tree (one turn) and then tie it off in a simple bow at the front making sure the bow is underneath the turn. Same for the other end. Very simple and very effective.
DSC00311.jpg

Trust me, this works with very little slippage if any at all. Make sure you sit gently on it first to try it out.

My experience with DD's is that you want to tie the hammock so that it's pretty straight (as opposed to a big dip in the middle).
DSC00638.jpg

Pablo

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Andy,
A trawl through www.imrisk.com has loads of info on hammock camping including a very simple and secure knot (I use it all the time). Theres also the hammockforum, whiteblaze, Sgt Rock websites all with great hammocking info.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
litefoot said:
just took delivery of a dd travel hammock and was looking for a few pointers as to how to tie it up.it appears to have 2 lengths of green cord at either end,what is the most efficient way of getting the thing off the ground without doing myself any permanant damage while using it. :rolleyes:
hope you can help andy.

I hope you are not taller than 6ft, I used mine this w/end and it was not very comfortable at all, my feet were cramped up and it was quite tight in there - I am 6'2"!

If you are ok in it, then if I was you I would try to attach metal 'O' / 'D' rings somewhere between the attachment point (The Tree) and the hammock itself because if it rains the water will seep down the ropes and into the hammock material.
I found out the hard way and if I wasn't inside a bivi bag I would certainly have got wet!

Anyway sorry for the downer - I hope you have a good time!!

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
Well, I finally broke down & purchased one yesterday. I'm looking forawrd to trying this out as well. I slept in one once when young, and, never really got comfy. But it was cold, and I had no idea about proper insulation. So, with that knowledge, I am willing to give it a go again. Hopefully, I'll have mine by next weekend!

O

Old Timer

Once you've learnt to trust your knots you'll find a hammock is very comfortable. On cold nights a Thermarest or similar will keep you warmer and help to flatten out the hammock.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE