New guy needs kit for bush moot - absolutely NO HAMMOCKS :-)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I can see that leaking at the windows, and it does not look worth £145. You're still going to need a tarp for an admin area, so you might as well get an ordinary cot and spend money on a decent tarp, A DD 4x4 springs to mind.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
If you plan on going every year why not invest long term in a canvas bell-tent? It will be a relatively expensive option, but it is arguably the most comfortable option and will give you that 'glamping' feel you want.

If you don't like it and want to sell it you'll probably get 2/3 of your money back selling second hand.

Pitkin

Life Member
Jul 26, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Upon first inspection the word 'nifty' springs to mind.
Second inspection not so 'nifty'.
You dont really need an air matress on a camp bed, come on,,you shouldn't be able to feel roots or stones that high off the ground and once you are in a sleeping bag it will feel comfy underneath. Air mattresses make you feel the cold if they are cheap and un-insulated, better off investing in a good thermarest mat for insulation, although, the moot, your only venue in the summer should be fine temp. wise.
The bed will cost you £30 from Argos, the tents worth that of less, Its only 1000HH although the British Army regard 850HH as waterproof, I dont. As Crosslandkelly says bit pricey if you are in the know, and you do need a tarp/cover for anything you don't want in your sleeping bag, boots,coat,clothes camp chair etc.
Its single skin, no fly sheet, cant see many airvents so your condensation factor will kick in,
If you have access to a camper van and your only worry is getting it dirty, i'd park it 2mins down the road and walk up to the moot,
Lets see now,, camper vs tent,,
van...
solid roof over you head,
central heating,
no setting up,
no hotel fees,
fully fitted kitchen,
en-suite dunny with no zips to undo at 1am,,3am,,and 5am, ,(although you probably won't find any ducks to punch in there)
all home comforts,
water-proof,
no drafts
no hanging stuff up to dry in the garage when you return,
ability to bring anything and anything,
QUIET WHEN YOU WAKE UP!

You dont wan't to spend much money,
you get up 3 times a night,
you are only camping once a year
and you don't own any camping clobber,

AND...if you are parked on private land you could have a few more tipples,

I love a bit of tenting and to be honest its more fun at the end of the day, but only because MY parents won't lend me THEIR camper van!

I'd phone yr folks tonite and book the van for next August if I were you,,LOL

ATB.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2015
middle of england
well - at the moment I'm just looking at bushmoot. But should it come to pass that I can camp in comfort and dryness and actually enjoy the whole process, I might look to take the slings and target and ethos to other such meetings around the country. Got a mate who runs bushcraft courses I can have a chat to.

So while this year I'm pretty much just looking at bushmoot - it might start something else :)

Tent wise, think I'd pretty much decided on something I could stand up in - that also opens up the whole bucket in the corner option. Seen some neat eco friendly 'corner bucket' options around for that :)

Second hand camping gear - now there's a sensible thought.
And I like that look of that cooking set too - although not so sure I'm gone on aluminium - the whole alzeheimers thing you know.
Or have they got round that aspect of it ?

Now on a slightly different note - thinking about running a sausage making 'class' at bushmoot. Only thing I haven't managed to work round is refrigeration. Got grinder and stuffer that doesn't need electricity and I prefer non-natural casing for ease of use.
But you still need to fridge things overnight.

So what options are there for portable fridges ? do they come gas powered ?

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
If I even mange to make it over to this, remind me to be very careful of who I accept a drink from, especially if it's in a wide mouth bottle!

Aug 6, 2015
middle of england
lol - I have acquired a large bucket :) And that's probably enough on that particular subject ;-)

The 'borrow the motorhome' came up with parents and ended up with a much better suggestion. Take the drive away awning.
basically a decent sized standalone tent with a zip round one edge.

We'll have a play when the weather gets a little more inclement. It's fairly heavy duty canvas. Not one of the new lightweighty jobs.
Can't see any real issues - so that's that sorted.
It'll also give me room to have a couple of tables for cooking, sling making etc and get some chairs in.

Just got back from the 3rd international sling meeting in mallorca (4 star hotel none of this wilderness stuff) and I'm now the first englishman in history to win a balearic slinging trophy :)
So that's pretty cool :)
Gz94bWmSbLzm7pO3-8PLyd5rYdxff6F02v80SpKlAN2JxRQfgL8yW49a5tVbSNVw-T7IlMLjp2ANJ4sY80dQ3XOGj5b36banZRSX0joQ6Xhe_LQzW7nTSUTJqRjANOVcy8SiBH7hnq2bpK2yYqKWLalfHNcQiSr8i7DkQyHxbOfsTMsn_TjnDHKm7ld40lVFGx9M9M1-jZzhTjbZuY832-3aRKzICWNSqh48KSVoLLr380MF9cM2cJA41h-ZEDGJpVY_ugNIg9H1_Z1dZfdmyWHgGLCQhqjU_20KFVjpGkZ-RHRj3mzAVtNyHz2ULm3-b5y4n3c2ZzYo6T_jGKVNj6FQHkgV--x8A-ZeQwW_HrDvLNB99WxY-I7ejU-xpSKXMicVc46K3HUH8Ry0vUHUEvtWJ224lAQD7yCuA37y100Fh8rtGclhAe_OmKnHxS9QDwolHcPLJDtkoOQY6RXZ6XJO2pdpss5WgDNlYdH-mcYI-xEr3DmwS7ME11jKc3cV1cW1jVZBU19vLu-HzoJ1y4dD5tMaB1lJ8dHtfpONxTMqrkravTlb2JwkG2AwWGf3H33S=w855-h639-no

And I beat david - so the mantle of england's number one balearic slinger has changed hands for a year.
'll be trying to convince some of the bushmoot attendees to go next year, at the moment David and I are massively out numbered by the germans :)

So I reckon all I've got to do camping wise is sort out a decent sleeping arrangement and I'm all set for august.

I'll be ding al the slinging teaching and associated stuff this year and david can go back to throwing sharp things around - which he prefers :)

Last edited:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I tried a number of hammocks for well over a decade from the grim little net ones to a warbonnet blackbird, super fly and a load of fancy titanium bits. Turns out hammocks just don't agree with me.

Thermarest NeoAir mats give me enough comfort these days but when I feel the need for even more comfort when car camping... i'm going in for some carp fishing gear.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/tfgear-flat-out-3-leg-flat-bed-p330639

Most fishing sleeping bags are huge and strap to the beds so are great for car camping when you want a lot of room in your bed.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
camping kit for the moot I need not be expensive or ultra lightweight. Use what have to hand. You're going to camping on sand. The most important thing is to stay dry. Your awning should do the trick. Have a decent mat to sleep on. It can get cold in August in Wales. Raid the camper van for cooking and eating lit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE