New grind for 2005 on the Bushcrafter !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A

Allan Blade

Hey,

Just ground this , 01 tool steel 5/32 thick Precision ground Starrett bar stock.

4 inch long blade.

This is my Basic Bushcrafter model blade as i am sure most people here have seen.

Difference is that instead of leaving a ricasso area, i chose to grind it like my scandi Pack pals and use a full edge grind on it.

I always figured the more usefull edge the better on the Bushcrafter so why not?

THis is going to be the standard grind now on the BUSHCRAFTER, i can easilly control the bevel height and depth by hand now so i figured lets make them really perform better by offering full edge!

I have 5 special ones i have cut out of Crucible Air-di 150 D2 steel that im going to be grinding as soon as i get this week and next weeks scandi pack pals done . So those should be Awesome in D2 i think with the full edge.

Any way i thought you might like to see the full edge blade blank i ground by hand so here it is..... dont ming the Dykem BLue layout fluid , it wont be there when its done ! !.. :super:

Cant FIGURE out how to get the picture to work right to show but here is the link to it anyway,,lol ...........http://www.bladecutlery.net/bladecutlery1_004.htm

Regards, Allan Blade

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Great looking blade ,Im looking forward to my knives Allan.
I like a full length grind thats why i ordered a Field Puukko.

new_bushcraft_grind_web.jpg

rb

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Hoodoo said:
Allan's puukko ROCKS !
I hope so :eek:):

I have one like this on order as well as a Natural Micarta Scandi pack pal(full tang).
proto_field_puukko_web.jpg

bladecutlery1006001.jpg

But i do like that new bushcrafter grind :naughty:

rb

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
MagiKelly said:
Forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between "Crucible Air-di 150 D2 steel" and 01 tool steel?

Oh and Allan you have an email :wink:

D2 is generally thought of as a "semi stainless" tool steel. It is very wear resistant and will hold its edge a lot better than 01. The downside of this, however is that it can be a pig to sharpen. It is also not as tough as 01, and is more prone to chipping. I suppose the secret is in the heat treatment.

No doubt someone else can give you a better explanation!

stuarty

A

Allan Blade

Hey,

yep its all in the heat treat, and why i send Alloys i use like D2 to Paul Bos for heat treat,, best in the buisness.

Regards, Allan

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Yep very, very nice blade Allen ............. :wink:

Watch this space for a review of the new blade. We will be testing the New Allan Blade against the Bison Bushcrafter and the WC woodlore knife. Three testers, three knives, one test and one review - which will be King of the wild wood?

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Allan, would that gind only be used in mortised tang? And will there be pins in place?

Great stuff BTW...so many knives so little time (to work to get money!)

:biggthump

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Jake Rollnick said:
Allan, would that gind only be used in mortised tang? And will there be pins in place?

Great stuff BTW...so many knives so little time (to work to get money!)

:biggthump

You know Jake with all those knifes it would not kill you to try a mortarised tang. I am sure you would soon be converted. It is every bit as strong and has not got the same corrosion or differential expansion issues.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The mortised tang has the best of all worlds, imo, although a nicely tapered tang is hard to beat for balance and when stick tangs are done well, I have complete confidence in them. Allan's mortised tangs are done to perfection so they are a treat!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Oh go on then you've twisted my arm :wink:

Are pins placed through the tang?

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hey Andy, very cheap custom made knife there mate. Top quality, and i can vouch for it, why waste that loan on something like...food? :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE