New Garberg from Mora

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
I recon it will still be a bit pricey for me, I'd be happy to pay around the £50 but I feel it will be closer to the £100 mark

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
$109 / $120 for leather sheath, so about the same in £ for us I reckon.

Moras carbon steel is one my all time favourites steels for a fixed blade knife but I'm wont be tempted unless I find them at a discounted sub £60 price somewhere at some stage.

For me the Terava Jakari Pukko is better value and proving to be a good heavy duty addition to my collection.

Reactions: Nice65

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Self reliance outfitterss have these on pre order, $89.99 for the multi mount, $99.99 for the leather sheath, so I guess the retail from other sources would be similar, and most likely at a 1:1 ratio of $ to £ when UK retailers have them, if we can still purchase knives by then.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
That's nice but I already have the SS one, its a good knife, but I would like the edge to hold up a bit better I wonder if the carbon address's that?

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Mora Carbon steel is one of the best on the market, better edge holding than the ss.

They are not so hardened ( around HRC 60 (?) as they could be, the idea is that they should be easily sharpened in the field on a piece of rock, glass, whatever you have handy.

Some Japanese artisan knife makers use the same Sandviken steel and harden it to around 63 or a tad more.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Ugh black coating. Blame the yanks for that totally unwanted feature!

No doubt it'll be priced too high for the average mora liker.

Reactions: Nice65
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
The one I have is 14c28nSS, HRC 58, how noticeable is two increments of a scale going to be?
I wonder if I work my knives harder than I think, its just in a very short time I find stainless will show bright spots on it edge quite early, its the only thing that lets stainless down.
I guess this one will be about £80 same as the other so yer not too bad! as for that coating.........c'mon Samon you like it really, its black it will go with everything!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Stainless 56-58 HRC
Carbon and laminated 58-60 HRC.

I own a couple different japanese kitchen knive, the hardest edge is a Myiabi Birchwoid that is hardened to 63 HRC.

Huge difference in how easily they sharpen and hone, between the ss Mora and the Myiabi.

Wear? No clue.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
As they say, Once you try black you never go back!

And in worst case it can be removed.

( joke aside, I hate black coating too. )
I'm not too keen on coatings myself but I don't like a blade that offers glint or flash, but like any knife in use it will look good right up till you put it to task, then it starts the long road to looking much like its master rough and weathered :D

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
True!

That Mora is ciated with DLC - Diamond Like Coating.

I have one watch with DLC on top of hardened German submarine stainless steel.
Still scratched it. But not the steel.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Stainless 56-58 HRC
Carbon and laminated 58-60 HRC.

I own a couple different japanese kitchen knive, the hardest edge is a Myiabi Birchwoid that is hardened to 63 HRC.

Huge difference in how easily they sharpen and hone, between the ss Mora and the Myiabi.

Wear? No clue.
I don't have anything to make a fair comparison with I have various production knives in stainless but all my carbon ones are home grown custom so bound to be much better :D but seriously! I'm not sure how to get across my feeling on stainless it just feels chewy?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Chewy is a very good description!
S/s has one property that is quite weird, two polished ss surfaces rubbed against each other “gel”.

Well known in the gun fraternity.
Ruger, a US manufacturer of guns have been making revolvers in ss since the 70’s, where the internals are injection cast ss.
After proper tuning and polishing, without lubrikation, these parts feel sticky against each other.

No doubt this is what you feel, some alloying metal is giving that feeling.
I am sure there is a more metallurgically knowledgable member that can explain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE