New fixed blade designs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
These are my new Explorer models. The one on top is the Explorer Standard and the larger one is the Explorer Max. Both knives are intended for all types of outdoor use from splitting wood for kindling to cutting veg for food. The large guard makes it much safer when used in cold wet conditions when the hand can get stiff in the cold and loose grip and accidentally slip onto the blade.

The Standard has a 4 inch long blade and 4.3mm thick, the Max has a 5 inch blade and 5.5mm thick. Both blades are made of D2 steel, well known for its strength and edge holding and a time proven choice for quality working knives. They have been ground with a thicker than normal edge for tough tasks like splitting wood and a sharp point for drilling holes and delicate cutting such as dressing game and carving wood. Both blades are razor sharp.

The handles can either be synthetic like the canvas Micarta on the Standard or Wood like the Max. They are bolted onto the handle with extra thick 6mm diameter stainless bolts. I have custom made titanium nuts because steel creates a lot of friction against titanium and it helps to prevent the bolts coming loose without the need for thread lock. Canvas Micarta is a great choice for a user because the fibres in the plastic matrix absorb water and swell up making for a better grip.

I have not made sheaths for these.

Last edited:

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
Like those

The micarta works for me

Not sung on the wood with bolts

As said lovely grinds

thanks, they are hollow ground on a big 20 inch diameter wheel so the hollow is quite shallow but it keeps the edge thickness fairly constant so you can sharpen it quite a bit without the edge getting too thick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE