New Fallkniven sharpener: the DC521!

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Looks like the modern equivalent to a Belgian Blue Whetstone and Coticule combo...interesting. How much is it though? I couldn't figure it out.

hemdale

Nomad
Jan 30, 2012
London
Since I'm really bad with keeping the right sharpening angle, I'll stick to my trust worthy Spyderco TriAngle sharpener.
However, I'm looking for a good portable solution: the Fallkniven ones look interesting.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have had a play with one and was very impressed with the quality, much better than the dc4 of late, it is a very good replacement for whet stones while out imo,

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I know it's intended as a bench stone but what obout taking it in the woods? The DC4 is a tad too small for taking care of my Fallkniven S1 and Fiskars x10 comfortably.
Also I'm not the gram counting junkie. But would it feel like an overkill? What do you think?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I know it's intended as a bench stone but what obout taking it in the woods? The DC4 is a tad too small for taking care of my Fallkniven S1 and Fiskars x10 comfortably.
Also I'm not the gram counting junkie. But would it feel like an overkill? What do you think?

Personally I would think it a bit too large to want to take it out and about but I also find the DC4 too small for general use.

Have you considered a DMT diafold? The case folds back to form a handle so making it feel bigger than it is for use.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I won't be buying any more fallkniven junk, but it would be nice for things like this to get on the market.

(my dislike with these noobs is their atrocious customer services and product quality control!)

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I'm a fan of pinning the stone down RM style. And those diafold have almost the same lenght.
That's my problem, DC4 is too short for a nice long comfortable stroke. At least not for my S1. Perfect for CS Finn Bear or Leatherman Charge.

I won't be buying any more fallkniven junk, but it would be nice for things like this to get on the market.

(my dislike with these noobs is their atrocious customer services and product quality control!)

I find it really strange how much their quality control has gone downhill recently. People had nothing but praise for the old sharpeners, but newer ones seem to be all over the place in terms of quality.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I expect they will have switched suppliers of their ceramic parts.

Samon.( my dislike with these noobs is their atrocious customer services and product quality control!)

Are you talking about fallkniven?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I find it really strange how much their quality control has gone downhill recently. People had nothing but praise for the old sharpeners, but newer ones seem to be all over the place in terms of quality.

Big names using past reputation to make more money. They get big and greedy then cheap out and produce crap at the same price!

I have the older dc4, not the pumice piece thing they pretend is better (LOL!) and it was unusable when I got it. It had laods of bumps and it was concave.. I ground it flatter but it still needs a proper sorting out as the materials used are worth salvaging.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Samon.( my dislike with these noobs is their atrocious customer services and product quality control!)

Are you talking about fallkniven?

Sure am! not only are they rude, but they told me I had to wait 6 months before I could return it to them and didn't even care they product damaged the edge of my knife!

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Personally I find the red/blue works for me. It's coarse and fine.

I want to have the kit for sorting dings out if I need. The fine is fine enough, if you're gentle and combo it with a strop.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE