New Enzo + sheath, sheath for SOG Jungle Canopy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks! It's been a while since I've been around here, but I'm trying to get back to the old haunts now and then.

This is a new Enzo Nordic 95mm, O1 steel with a curly birch handle. The sheaths are oak tan leather. Both of the nordic style sheaths are for the enzo - the first one was made without a liner, but while the overall durability of the sheath was better than expected (given that I don't have access to half-tan leather) the blade portion was a bit too bendy for my liking and I was concerned about the knife punching through it (and possibly my hand) some day. So I made Mk2, with a wooden core. Overall I like this sheath a lot better - I feel more secure holding onto it while unsheathing/sheathing the knife, i think it's more attractive and it's just more rugged. Mk1 also had a plain leather belt loop, which I found too rigid for this knife. The twisted loop in Mk2 allows me to sit down and stand up with minimal adjustment, and I'll be adding a carabiner to it as well.

The Sog Jungle Canopy is a nice big knife, holds a good edge and is a mean chopper. I decided to sheath it wood just for something different. It is glued as well as laced and the sheath is recessed for the frog at the top so it doesn't slide.

scandi1.jpg

scandi2.jpg

scandi3.jpg

scandi4.jpg

These are my first nordic style sheaths, I have a ways to go but I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out!

Comments, suggestions and criticism welcome!

Pete

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Very nicely done :)
Thank you!

Great work, nice handle shape in the smaller one. May I ask how thick the leather is in the sheaths?
Thank you, that handle shape along with the more typical barrel are my favorites for scandinavian knives, with a great balance of comfort and versatility. I like the flare at the base for aiding in unsheathing a knife from a deep pouch sheath.

The leather was far too thick, really - it started as about 9-10oz (3.5-4mm) and I skived it down to about 5oz in the blade area (around 2mm) and tapered the handle portion into it - but that portion of the sheath stayed pretty much at the original thickness. If I had started with maybe 7-8oz I think it would have worked out better, or even thinner if I had half tan leather. All the edges were thinned significantly to make for a neater seam (my seams need a lot of work! finding it difficult to get a good balance between thin enough too look good and too thin to hold) and the edge of the mouth was thinned so it could be rolled.

Thanks,
Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE