New Drinksafe waterbag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
I should be getting the 6ltr one tomorrow. I had a phone call from them today to tell me they've changed the bag to a higher hydrostatic value, which is now green, with a clear section (presumably to have a peak at the filter when in use.

Very chatty he was too. He was telling me that they'd put something like 20 (I'm sorry, I forgot the exact number and could have been more) steritabs in one, and the water came out with no chlorine taste what so ever. So I guess that could solve the micron issue mentioned above, but you'd still have problems with filtering some chemicals.

Anyway, I'll take some pics and post first impressions tomorrow.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
How leaky is the system James? does the filter housing or the tap leak at all?

I know the old one used to leak, but have had no problems with the "new" system. All the tubes are fixed on tightly & the tap is a great addition.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I should be getting the 6ltr one tomorrow. I had a phone call from them today to tell me they've changed the bag to a higher hydrostatic value.

That's good news, my mate Dan had a problem with their old nylon one weeping a bit after a while!

Anyway, I'll take some pics and post first impressions tomorrow.

Cheers, I'd still be interested in a smaller version :)

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I was really tempted to go with the Supalite, but decided on the Aquaguard and a platypus big zip... Its more for personal use with the odd camp meet so suits me better as a hydration pack.

For the price, the majority of the stuff from drinksafe seems well worth a look!

My filter should be here today for use on the weekend.

atb, al.

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
That's good news, my mate Dan had a problem with their old nylon one weeping a bit after a while!

Nothing arrived yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Giles mentioned the weeping, hence the change in bag. Tbh, I'm only interested in using this set up to refill bottles, so slight damp leakage wouldn't be much of an issue. But I'll certainly report any moisture if found.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I had some email tennis with Giles this morning who mentioned they were getting some more of the stainless filters in tomorrow and will be shipping out that same day.

I went for the new green 6LT Supalite :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I know the old one used to leak, but have had no problems with the "new" system. All the tubes are fixed on tightly & the tap is a great addition.

Thanks James :) I can't be doing with more drippy hoses, it sounds as though this fits the bill. My Webtex inlines double as rucksack irrigation systems at the mo, a Supalite is in my paypal crosshairs.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
i spoke to giles today about the micron level size and how that relates to viruses and he said that the technology "media within and coating the filter" that also disinfects and therefore devitalizes viruses rendering them inert.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
message from Giles, (permisson to post asked):

Quote:

Bear in mind that no filter system is the ultimate panacea: we have passed 3200 liters through out system but only 100 liters with a muddy concoction.

The choice is clear! Avoid sediment.

The reason dwell times with steri tabs is so long is that they want to make sure pathogen are killed by purification - interstingly Cryptosporidium Occyts are shaped like a pea and are "hard shelled" therefore VERY difficult to kill with steri tab/steri pen etc hency long dwell/kill time.

We used live crypto in our tests specifically flown in and there didnt get through out filter or rather IF they do they have been stretched uncomfortably rupturing them and de-vitalizing them.

We have other media within filter too, a touch of silver and some biosafe media - All in part help remove pathogen and improve water quality/taste.

All our pathogen tests were instant pass through.

End quote.

That for me is good enough anyways... last time i went to borneo i went with an msr miniworks which doesnt filter viruses at all and i wasnt stick once. (maybe just lucky)

so this will do me fine for my next stint!

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
Well it arrived. I'm not going to be able to post pics just yet, as it will be a long day at work. I think they've given me the 10ltr bag, looks bigger than the pictures of the 6ltr they have on their site. Interestingly it's branded with Webtex, so they've obviously cut a licence deal with them.

The bag has a transparent strip along it's height, around 6" wide from top to bottom, and yes you can see the stainless steel filter, which is @ 1/3" off the bottom on the opposite side, to allow sediment to rest below the filter.

It comes with a repair kit that contains a tube of 'Stormsure' rip and hole sealer, two rubber rings that fit the bag's outlet fitment, several tufts of white fibre to replace the innards of the sediment filter, and an attachment that replaces the tube which I can only asume is a shower head.

It has a folded instruction page of A4 which is printed on both sides with use and care directions. The tubes look as if they're not going to come off anytime soon, and you can unscrew the the fine filter's housing for cleaning and air drying for long term storage.

Just thinking out loud now, I'd probably want to put a small piece of tubing on the end of the tap to keep it in the mouth of a bottle. And maybe use some sort of 'pillow case' inside the bag to filter out the big stuff before it hits the SS filter in the bottom.

I'll mod this post with pics when I get a chance.

Cheers

Jon

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
I've just uploaded some quick pics of the new bag. Please excuse my photography.

SAM_0087.jpg

The kit out of the packaging. Clockwise, fine filter and tubing, 6ltr bag?, repair and spares.

SAM_0090.jpg

Bag held up with thumb as scale.

SAM_0089.jpg

The transparent strip to see the corse filter.

SAM_0091.jpg

Shower attachment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE