New design of sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Hi All,

As above! If there were a softie type jacket made from a quality synthetic sleeping bag filling rated to 0C comfort and -5C low, which zipped to a "half" sleeping bag and retailed at the £100 mark would you be interested?

The prototype is being produced and no photos are available just yet, but this would be a quality branded product.

The theory being that you could knock about in the jacket and at bed time zip on the 1/2 bag. Some 1/2 bags are already available for the ultra lighters, but none as a complete kit.

Exact specs and details TBC but due to production costs is it likely that this would be available in an XL jacket only. Sleeping bag dimensions TBC also!

I would add a poll but it seems to be missing the feature in this sub forum!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
How do you mean by "half bag", as in a top quilt?

Depending on weight and bulk of the finished item(s) I might be interested

Just re-read the bit about XL only, that puts me firmly out of the picture I'm afraid

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
The half bag would literally zip onto the bottom of the jacket. This bag isn't just for forum members but for anyone. I would welcome feedback even if the size isn't right for some people.

Due to the cost of having multiple sizes; that is the reason only XL would be available. If the manufacturer offered different sizes for the cost, then other sizes may be offered too; but at the mo it's XL only. XL will fit most people to some degree.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The half bag would literally zip onto the bottom of the jacket. This bag isn't just for forum members but for anyone. I would welcome feedback even if the size isn't right for some people.

Right, gotcha thanks

So you'd end up with something like the german sniper sleeping bag with hood and sleeves but the whole bottom section zips off, nice idea

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Back on my climbing days there was a thing called an "Elephants foot" (pied d'elephant) - basically a half length sleeping bag that attached to your down jacket to make a sleeping system for big face climbers ... it did not last long as an available product....
It sounds like you are describing a similar idea - I hope, for your sake, that its time has come :)

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I wouldn't to be honest. If I had been in the rain all day, working hard and sweating as you would expect, the last thing I would want is to have to sleep in the jacket I may have been wearing. For the sake of a few grams I would stick with seperate bag, bag liner and coat.

Now something I would be interested in would be a sleeping bag that is specifically designed for use in a hammock to defeat the having to carry a underquilt and/or using a sleep/inflatable/reflective heat type mats.

Last edited:

widu13

Feb 9, 2008

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As John said, its not a new idea at all, plenty of down versions available when I was a young climber, this 'new' one is synthetic not down is all.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Just to add to your concept, I would like to see some sort of expanda panel for the option of extra room in the jacket when sleeping and some deep inside pockets for things plus some sort of zip on/off mittens of the same material for your hands if you sleep with arms in sleeves(which i imagine is the whole point). You could even offer some sleeping booties with a bit of a sole on for extra warmth.

insulated one-sie with rabbit ears has just popped into my head and then out again very quickly. :240:

Last edited:

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
Let's hear the fors and againsts!

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk

From my point of view this design is suitable for long duration static activities like animal observation, fishing, maybe hunting. Maybe not suitable for walking long-distance activities. I definitely need to see the final product and judge accordingly.

Might also have some value in the military.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE